Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lahargues

how do I get them to come to a new subdivision

lahargues
14 years ago

We have lived in our subdivision for 5 years now and every year I put out my feeders and nothing happens. I usually get yellow wasps. I have 5 star jasmine and plain old yellow jasmine planted. Roses galore. This year I planted hummingbird and butterfly wildflower seeds (some package at lowe's). I want to attract them and keep them. Help!!

Comments (5)

• quadzillabill
    14 years ago

You've got to get them as soon as they enter your area. They will fly right by in a hurry if there's nothing to slow them down.

A variety of hanging baskets, annuals and perennials will help draw/keep them in addition to your feeder. Also, mixing their drink a little stronger in the spring can get them coming your way. Finally, I have found that making sure you have at least one feeder where the morning sun can hit it and 'light' it up a bit makes it more of an eye-catcher as they get off the nest each morning.

Good luck!

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

lahargues:
    Plant some Salvia greggii or a couple of varieties called
    Salvia greggii x'Cherry Queen',S.greggii x 'Cherry Cheif' or Navajo Bright Red'. Some others to try are Salvia guarnitica Black & Blue,Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'-
    sometimes miss labeled as S. greggii 'Hot Lips' these should be reliably cold hardy for you.
    Art

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I have never seen hummer use Jasmine and they mny investigate roses but that is about it. There isn't any nectar for hummers in roses. Although beautiful and eyecatching to humans these plants provide little to no value for hummers.

You need to provide plants that they can feed on in addition to feeders. Salvia greggii and Salvia guaraniticas are a good suggestion. Also Salvia Lady in Red is becoming more available at many garden centers and seeds are readily available. It bloom early and all seaso long. Other good plant additons ar Coral Bells which is a perennial and coral honeysuckle (Lornicera sempervirens) is our native honeysuckle that starts blooming in early spring and is not at all aggressive like the white or yellow flowered Japanese honeysuckle.

Penny

• mastergardenerfrank
    14 years ago

You MUST make sure the sugar water solution is fresh & clean. Meaning you can go no longer than three days in cooler weather and every other day in hot weather. I try to keep an extra feeder handy, so when I take one down to be cleaned I can hang a fresh feeder in it's place. The little buggers remember. If the solution is bad once they will not come back. I also find here in the NE where we only have one hummer, I only fill the feeder about a third. Why waste the nectar & less chance of my being lazy & letting it go a day to long. Hope this helps.
    Frank

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

When I first moved into my new subdivision I didnt know they would be here but standing in my yard one day and one buzzed my head so I go get my first feeder. Here it seems early in the year they want the sugar water as there is not any flower nectar available yet anyway here in the mid-west. Salvia coccinia lady in red, coral nymph , greggii plants are all good standbys also cupheas , honeysuckle plants coral, dropmore scarlet. There are others but you get the idea.

Sponsored
More Discussions