Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyqute

My naughty cat caught a hummer - But its ok.

suzyqute
16 years ago

my cat caught a male hummer last night, she has never acted interested enough to go after one before , just watched them,she got it at the low feeder,that feeder will be placed higher- my hubby took it away from her,and let it go,it flew away, so apparently was not hurt, at least hope not. so she will not be allowed outside in evening again (when they are real active) Hoping that the hummer doesn't tell his friends that its dangerous by us.

Comments (24)

• bluebirdbabe
    16 years ago

"Hoping that the hummer doesn't tell his friends that its dangerous by us."

I hope the hummer does tell his friends that it is dangerous by you......because it IS

• doctorsteve
    16 years ago

I'm curious as to how much of a problem people have had with cats catching hummingbirds. By the time my cat saw one, he was old enough that they were way out of his league. That cat is now chasing mice in kitty heaven (or perhaps running from dingos in kitty hell -- what do I know?), but there are several feral cats in the neighborhood, one of which I've seen catch a rabbit. Hope I'm not designing a cat recreation area and cafeteria....

• dakster
    16 years ago

Why is your cat outside?

A bird can die even from the smallest scratch from a cat.

• suzyqute
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My cat is outside as she lives at my house, you obviously didn't read the whole post - she won't be allowed out any more when the hummers are here . She does not have claws. she has never before shown interest in trying to catch one. I love the hummers as much as all of you people do. sorry I offended any of you , didn't post to get my butt kicked- just wanted to let people know that it is possible for a cat to catch them, even when they hadn't shown any interest - and do not have claws . If you want to be nasty - keep it at home to your spouse .

• bluebirdbabe
    16 years ago

I did read the whole post. You admitted that it was dangerous "by you"......I was just agreeing with you.

• bluebirdbabe
    16 years ago

I did read the whole post. You admitted that it was dangerous "by you"......I was just agreeing with you.

• mistymorgans
    16 years ago

When I first read this I thought uh oh, she is going to get blasted, and unfortunatly you were. It is true, cats belong inside for many reasons, screen enclose porch for kitty maybe? Also, all feeders should be hung 5 ft or greater, your neighbors may have wandering kitties. The hummer your cat caught has a very good chance of dying from this contact. Cats deliver a deep puncture wound that hummer may have initially not appeared harmed by, but unfortunatly, will cause death to the hummer. There is so much knowledge on this forum, I have learned ten-fold what to do for my hummers, and we are all pretty passionate. Keep reading and you will be able to increase your knowledge of hummers needs, flowers, nectars, feeders, pests. This place is just great.

• dakster
    16 years ago

"My cat is outside as she lives at my house, you obviously didn't read the whole post - she won't be allowed out any more when the hummers are here . She does not have claws. she has never before shown interest in trying to catch one. I love the hummers as much as all of you people do. sorry I offended any of you , didn't post to get my butt kicked- just wanted to let people know that it is possible for a cat to catch them, even when they hadn't shown any interest - and do not have claws . If you want to be nasty - keep it at home to your spouse ."

I did read the entire post.

Outdoor cats are a sensitive subject here regardless of what time of day they are "let outside". It is dangerous for the cat, especially one without claws(!) as well as the birds. Not to mention dangerous for you, all the "stuff" that can be brought in on the cat's fur as well as possibilty of worms from mosquito bites and the like. We just want your cat, you and the birds to be safe and healthy.

And I'm sorry you thought we were being nasty. No one is here to fight, but to learn and to offer advice. The cat is not naughty, she is just doing what comes natural as a species.

And btw.. keep our spouses out of this. Now *THAT* was nasty.

• doctorsteve
    16 years ago

Once a cat is used to being outside, keeping it in all the time is going to spoil the cat's life as it sees it, and it will make sure you share in the misery. (It was a miserable 2 weeks for both of us when I kept my last cat inside after a surgery! Though to his credit, I never knew him to go after birds, though there are a couple of feral cats in the neighborhood who are a menace to everything up to the size of a rabbit. And somehow they seem to have escaped the foxes and coyotes for all these years.)

• davemidohio
    16 years ago

My cat catches two or three hummingbirds every week. It is improving the gene pool since only the most wary and fastest flying hummers survive. Kinda like natural selection, and it keeps the hummers from becoming "tame".

• dakster
    16 years ago

Please tell me you're joking davemidohio.

• bluebirdbabe
    16 years ago

Dakster, don't pay any attention to Dave in Ohio. He is just trying to get you going. I know no one could be that cruel.

• dakster
    16 years ago

*nods*

I was already going...heehee...*deep breaths*

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Responsible owners keep their cats inside!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Effect of Cats on Wildlife

• downsouth
    16 years ago

Wow, I only saw this post as a "generic want-to-share" post. I do hope the hummer made it.

We have an outside cat and an inside cat. We only have the outside cat as we were kind enough to take care of her as she came to our house pregnant, underfed and neglected, from my neighbor's house. Now I have 3 kittens the "no kill" rescue center is taking next week. The momma cat has been staying inside recovering from surgery, at our expense, so no more kitties for her!

I used to see nothing wrong with outside pets, but I have changed my opinion in the last few years. This does not change the fact that MANY people here have outside cats and dogs. A lot of residents in our proximity have acreage and barns. They "use" the outside cats to catch mice and snakes. For us, however, we have buried too many cats that have been hit by cars and had one outside cat that had Aids and had to be put to sleep! This is when I said no more outside cats or dogs. I would love to give my outside dog away. He barks all the time and drives me crazy. He barks at deer or opossum. I never want another dog (just a personal matter here everyone, so don't be too hard on me.)

Our inside cat is a Siamese we adopted from the shelter and she hates other cats. That's fine with me, as this means no more inside cats, so no double the poop to scoop! Honestly, we did see a lot of adult cats at Petsmart that we could have brought home with us in a heartbeat, but our cat rules the house! The momma cat will be put outside tomorrow. I do hope she goes back to our neighbor's house and stays there, but I know this is only a dream. Why would you leave a gourmet feast for no food at all, LOL!

• buford
    16 years ago

Just keep the hummer feeders out of kitties reach. My cat watches them, but knows he can't get them. He's more interested in those fat chipmunks.

• sidk
    16 years ago

The flies and moths and spiders that get in the house are fair game for my indoor cat. Otherwise I don't let him kill ANY kind of wildlife. And I also keep him indoors so the wildlife or the neighbor's pit bull or a car or whatever doesn't kill him. If you want to let your cat go outside, its safer for him and the wildlife if you build a "kennel" for him or leash train him like some people I know have done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cats Indoors

• buford
    16 years ago

My cats go out in a fenced yard with a special cat fence on top so they can't get out.

As far as 'wildlife', my neighbor has offered me $$ to let me have my cat hunt chipmunks in her yard. Trust me, they are not endangered.

All my bird feeders are high and in the open so the cats can't get the birds. They've never caught a bird.

• dakster
    16 years ago

All you "outdoor cat" people can believe what you'd like, just as all of us "indoor cat" people will continue to do the same. Just makes me wonder how many of your cats you will scrape off the road before you change your minds.

I suppose it is a case of: agree to disagree.

However, just FYI, outdoor cats and red dye, are 2 *very* controversial subjects on these forums.

• cindra
    16 years ago

I normally don't bother to get into this type of discussion, however...here goes!!

To texanjana
    You stated: Responsible owners keep their cats inside!

This comment is what really set me off!!

I consider myself a responsible cat owner and my cat does not stay indoors all of the time. He is current on shots, I keep his nails trimmed and he is allowed outdoors with his leash and harness but only when I am able to be outside with him to watch him. For the most part he is an indoor cat and we only take him out when the weather is nice. He never uses the bathroom outdoors either.

Do neighbors laugh at us when they see us tie him up, NO! They appreciate the fact that we watch him so close and keep him home. They are amazed that he doesn't mind at all being tied up to a leash. However, I do wish out neighbors would do the same with their cats.

Please do not assume that we cat owners are not responsible unless we keep out cats indoors all the time!

Sorry, just had to vent for a sec.

Cindi

• dakster
    16 years ago

Oh cool.. yours is on a leash..ok.. now you are the exception to the "no cats outside rule". That's neat.

• cindra
    16 years ago

You are probably correct when you state that our cat is the exception to the rule but we love him and try to take every precaution to protect him inside or outside.

I have also been an avid bird person for many years and I would never knowingly add to their daily struggles to survive along side of the human race.

Teaching a cat to be on a leash is not as hard as one may think. He knows when he sees the harness that he is going outside and he actually will place his head inside of it. He has used one since he was 3 months old and he is now 7 years old so he doesn't know any different.

• buford
    16 years ago

I don't care if other people want to keep their cats indoor only. And I don't approve of free roaming cats. As I said, mine are in the fenced in yard that they can't get out of. One goes out front with me and rolls around on the walkway as I garden. He doesn't go off the property or in the street.

So you can allow your cats outside responsibly. My cats are my children so I do take very good care of them.

I also would never put dye in my hummer feeders :)

• rita_h
    16 years ago

Five feet is too low... hang your feeders 6 feet or more off the ground.

I watched my neighbor's fat lazy cat jump 5 feet straight up into the air from a crouched position to grab a hummer sitting on my feeder. ("Aw, see the silly kitty thinking it can reach the birdie... OH NO!"). I had no idea she could jump that high.

Felt awful about the bird but have to admit I was impressed with the athleticism of an animal I had relegated to FAT DOMESTIC FURBALL status. Don't under-estimate your kitties... they are fierce little predators.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions