Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_fl

Butterfly bush

marilyn_fl
10 years ago

I keep reading that the butterfly bush (buddleia) attracts hummers. In reading other posts of plants that attract hummers. I don't see buddleia mentioned. Just wondering if anyone has noticed hummers going to this plant.

Thanks,

Comments (19)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I have seen them visit it, but it is not a favorite hummingbird plant in my SoCal garden. Actually, my best hummer/butter combo plants by far has been Skyflower (Duranta 'Sweet Memories', I believe), and Arbutus Marina. Your hummingbird species' tastes may differ.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Yup, they have been seen on all of mine. I think the only other plant that blooms at the same time they seemed to like more was cardinal flower. I've got ruby throats here.

• mbrowne
    10 years ago

I have 3 butterfly bushes, but only this one is blooming. They seem to like it a lot. I think it's a mandatory hummingbird plant! Here are a couple of shots from the last few days:

And here's one just chillin'

I linked to original images because the new GW image-handling leaves a lot to be desired...

This post was edited by mbrowne on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:00

• spaceman13
    10 years ago

Great shots MBrowne!
    There is proof positive!
    My Buddleia, aren't blooming just yet, nor are my Rose of Sharon, or my bee balm, or anything else not in containers. Cold late spring and late freeze have gotten us here in PA a few weeks behind.

• susie53_gw
    10 years ago

I have a butterfly bush and the hummingbirds love it. Also they love my hostas, sweet pea vine, day lilies and others.. We enjoy watching them while sitting on our porch.. Our son-in-laws mom has a post up with 6 feeders on it. They come and feed by huge numbers. She can stand at the kitchen sink and hear the hum away!! Amazing!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Here's one visiting BB.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Great shots MBrowne and thx for sharing with us.

• ditas
    10 years ago

Thumbs up for Butterfly Bush, + Turtleheads, Aug blooming Hostas, Hummingbird bush even some Hyndrangeas & simple little impatiens & petunias for early commers, oh not to forget Herbs of sorts!!!

The assortments & the miniscule critters that they invite as well, are necessities for Hummers' longevity that plain sugar solution is missing!!!

Truly great images shared, mbrowne!!! Indeed TY for them!!!

• lexilu73
    10 years ago

I have two butterfly bushes and they visit both frequently. I would have to say they like the black and blue, marachino, and lady in red salvias better though.

• lexilu73
    10 years ago

I have two butterfly bushes and they visit both frequently. I would have to say they like the black and blue, marachino, and lady in red salvias better though.

10 years ago

Two different questions - will hummers ever visit? And - will this plant specifically attract them to my yard? I'd say yes to the first, unlikely to the 2nd. To accomplish the 2nd, I'd prefer to have Lantana.

• ditas
    10 years ago

purpleinopp ~ I have both, originally for my passion for the flying *Big Dames* (butterflies). I just happen to find Hummies frequenting the Buddleias (have 4 varieties) ~ I guess due to their being taller than Lantanas, easier to get to!

Have you looked into the *Blue Chips* dwarf Buddleias ~ will grow in urns or pots & shelf-cleaning to boot! I have one & so adorable!!!

BTW Buddleias are kind of scragly bushes ~ I'm sure you're aware. I have Miss Ruby a bit better behaved than Royal Purple. Royal Emperor is wonderful as well w/ longer & thicker bloom plumes!

Best wishes!!!

10 years ago

Interesting point on the height thing. I wonder if I put potted Pentas up higher if I would have a better time catching a pic from it getting visited more? DH and I have declared a moratorium on any more pics at the feeders.

Thanks for the effort of providing that info! I don't buy plants with fancy cultivar names though (or many yard plants at all, propagating what's available is more my speed. Renting. There's so much space here, I'm doing what I can to install shrubs people (and wildlife) will like when I've gone elsewhere, or easily killed exotics like BB.) I do love the white and darker purple ones though. Much more pretty blooms through my eyes!

These BB's were given to me as a little cutting about 20 years ago, and I've taken them with me everywhere I've gone, through about 6 moves, including from OH to AL, just kind of part of the family. I believe mine are the plain species. Yes, they are scraggly looking, no doubt! A back yard plant for all but the most anal dead-head'ers, IMVHO.

They're not used as much around here as up north, from what I've noticed. And I've been asked what they are so many times.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

Butterfly bush is invasive in some places....if you have disturbed areas they will spread like wildfire....just be careful I had to remove a few thousand. There are much better choices out their for nectar sources. Beebalm, coral honeysuckle, and cardinal flower a just a few examples.

10 years ago

Thanks, Greenthumbz! Yes it was said upthread, by me and others, there are preferred (native) nectar sources, although those you mention don't come close to blooming from spring to frost like BB. I've never had a sprout of this plant in 20 years of growing it in OH and AL. The kind with lighter purple blooms that bend and dangle seed like crazy but not this one, they're actually prone to suddenly dying over winter for no apparent reason, even down here. There's some of that other kind in my Mom's yard and we've been getting rid of it.

• ditas
    10 years ago

Good Am ~ I planted my 1st Buddleia in '05 & 2 more in succeeding years (my son in NC even earlier) w/ no mention of being invasive.

The less than positive comment I have are:

1) The fact that they are quite unkempt looking bushes & during the years they grew so enthusiastically, dead-heading spent blooms got a bit tedious for me.

2) In our zone they have to be left alone (Winter-dried-up look) & wait for the their base to green up before pruning them down or risk their demise. It is a bit odd looking after the whole place has been cleaned up & greened!

In these couple of years of drought here (despite frequent waterings) the long & healthy bloom-panicles were shorter & less & so are the population of big butterflies ~ sigh!

Even the dwarf *Blue Chip* produced shorter clusters altho still an adorable li'l bush!

10 years ago

Ditas, is BB the only 'butterfly' plant you have?

• ditas
    10 years ago

I have many different ones they love as well ~ right now in bloom are:
    Turtle Heads (Chelone)
    Hosta ~ August blooming
    Petunias
    Roses
    Phlox
    Lantanas
    Asters
    Golden Rods
    Lavenders
    etc Spring bloomers for the early travelers

I started w/ a packet of Butterfly Garden seeds for 1 of my beds years ago I just happen to see Hummies visit them ~ some for just short kisses perhaps to check out. I've even seen some visit my Hydrangeas briefly in passing!

10 years ago

Excellent! I asked because this comment made me wonder, "bloom-panicles were shorter & less & so are the population of big butterflies." As the only nectar source in a yard, BB would be unlikely to attract large numbers of butterflies (or hummers) but you do have other nectar sources. It didn't rain here all summer last year and you're right, there were fewer butterflies than this year. Drought is tough on everybody!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath
More Discussions