dellwo
16 years ago

Eggs are hatching. Take a look.

Nest Cam

Login: guest, guest

Comments (37)

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I just took a peek and mama was off the nest - one egg has hatched!Annnnnnd, while I was watching, mama came back with a snack for the baby! I was able to save the image, just now need to figure out how to add it here...argh.

• seafire1
    16 years ago

Looks like a dimple on the egg on the upper left. :))

Pam

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took a video of mom feeding her chick. Take a look!
    Feeding Video

• christy2828
    16 years ago

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw the baby earlier getting a feeding, but your 'you tube' takes the cake!!! You don't know how much I appreciate this footage. My toddler climbs on my lap, points and say 'buurrrddddd' over and over again :) Thanks for sharing these amazing images with us :) Christy

• seafire1
    16 years ago

What type of Hummer is this? Allen's??

love the cam

Pam

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Another WOW!!!! Putting the video up on You Tube was a great idea; thanks! I have got to get one of those cameras; I'm off to the website ;)

• bella_trix
    16 years ago

That feeding video is amazing! Thank you for posting it. Do hummingbirds regurgatate food/nectar or is she feeding the baby a gnat?

Thanks,
    Bellatrix

• mizmom
    16 years ago

So...I can't believe that no one has anything to say about this HumCam. I have been watching it for hours. Some amazing sights.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Another one hatched!!!!!! It just hatched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I just saw momma feeding one of the babies, not too long ago. In the original thread, the first egg was laid, then she took off for a week. I wonder if that third egg will hatch; that'll be an interesting sight, if 3 can even fit in that nest...

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I just took a look at the nest ,, momma was on the nest then flew away. Im afraid im at a dissadvantage having dialup , but I took a look at the video , thanks dellwo, that made it better for me, very nice.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Did the 3rd egg hatch?!?!? I see half an egg floating around the nest...

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The 3rd egg has indeed hatched. Unbelievable.
    I've never seen three in a brood before.
    I hope they all survive.

• brianstreehouse
    16 years ago

Thank you for this thread. I watched the second chick hatch with my two sons. Good memory moment for us. Thanks.

Brian

• mizmom
    16 years ago

Amazing...3 babies. Has anyone seen the mom feeding the younger ones. I was worried that the older one would get all of the feedings. I ahave not been able to watch for a couple days....is the mom feeding them all?

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't seen her feed the youngest yet.
    Here are the other two being fed yesterday.

Later, Joe

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I saw the mom feeding one of the babies. It was really freaky, seeing her stick her beak down the baby's throat. It reminded me of a sword swallower, and I kept picturing the worst. As freaky as it looked, it was just as thrilling and spectacular. A HUGE thanks to Joe for giving us this opportunity ;)

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Joe,
    How are things going in the nest? I keep checking back occasionally (I don't want to kill the bandwidth), but haven't seen all three babies. Maybe someone else can confirm that all 3 are feeding?

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm afraid the 3rd chick didn't survive a day.
    She probably instinctively knew she could only raise 2.

Sorry, Joe

• buford
    16 years ago

dell, I just noticed that the nest is in a rosebush! Can you tell me what type of rose (I have many rosebushes and hummers, so want to be careful now around my roses).

Also where in your yard is your rose, how big is it and do you spray/prune it?

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know my roses. Maybe you can tell from this picture.
    {{gwi:980530}}
    The nest is middle left; my kithen window is on the right. We have a clear view of the nest.
    She doesn't give us much time to care for the plant.
    Between broods we'll pinch diseased leaves. When she's migrated we'll use insecticidal soap.
    Later, Joe

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update Joe. Sorry to hear about the third baby; what a shame :(

• cnguidry
    16 years ago

After watching the video of the hummingbird feeding her babies with her long beek (sp?), isn't it amazing she doesn't puncture something inside the baby's body? At one point, the babies had the Mom's whole beek in their mouth. Truly amazing!

• irisheyesaresmilin
    16 years ago

This is SO awesome for you to put this for all to see- you're the best!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '

• zoe2
    16 years ago

I just love this! Truly awesome to watch, THANKS!

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Uh oh, "Internal Server Error"; getting to much traffic Joe?

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not too many hits so far today. Probably just a hiccup.
    Let me know if it keeps happening.

• novice60
    16 years ago

That is just wonderful! Thanks I only saw the first bird on the 15th. They always give me a rush of excitement.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Hiccups gone ;)

Wow, the babies have gotten soooo big!

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Aw, I just saw mom feeding the babies. Talk about cramped quarters. The one up top, probably the oldest/largest, seems like it's going to get bumped out of the nest! Such an incredible sight ;)

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I expect the older chick to fly today or tomorrow. They usually stand and exercise their wings for a day or so. She's just starting to do that. Plus, mom has been demonstrating flying for them. I've set the cam to record all day just in case.
    --Joe

• mizmom
    16 years ago

Wow. Again this is amazing to watch. I see big bro/sis sitting on the edge of the nest looking straight at the camera. The little one looks alot more comfy. Sooo cute. I haven't seen any wing action. Darn, I don't have time to watch today......

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The big chick is flying around exploring nearby branches with momma hovering nearby.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Definitely cool! There was one little on in the nest when I checked it out. It looked like it was dozing a bit but would startle if the wind shook the rose a bit. Also saw it stick it's tongue out a few times. LOL

• jessie21
    16 years ago

dellwo, how fantastic is that? thanks for sharing the videos and nest cam action. can you tell me what kind of camera you use and how you do it?

• dellwo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I use the: Creative Live! Wireless
    It's not the best, but it connects to the internet directly so I don't need to have a computer running or cables connected to it. I got it for ~$95.

• jessie21
    16 years ago

thanks, dellwo!

Sponsored
More Discussions