Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello, first time user here

Posted by tonyalea Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 14:24

Hello all this is my first time using this forum so if I have done something in error please inform. I have just put my feeder out and planted a Columbine to attract these wonderful creatures. How long will it take before the start buzzing around? I have seen them last year but never had my feeder out till now. Neighbors around us do have feeders and feed regular. Could you give me any more advice on shrubs, plants, or flowers I should plant or what actions I should take. By the way I am in Central Ohio.
Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello, first time user here

Hi Tony and welcome. Hummers have been in your area for a while now. Spring blooming plants to add to your garden are: Aquilegia canadensis (native eastern columbine), Bleeding hearts, Coral Bells (red flower), single flowered azaleas, rhododendron, flowering quince, red buckeye, Coral honeysuckle blooms early and will continue to bloom all season so that is a good staple plant.
For all season blooms Salvia coccinea is a number one attractor. It is an annual but may reseed for you. Some places sell the cultivar Lady in Red. Our walmart has had it in the past but so far they haven't had any at all this year. It is very easy to grow from seed too. Another must have is Salvia guaranitica Black & Blue. This could be a perennial for you with enough winter protection. THey get very large (almost shrub like), Monarda 'Jacob's Cline' is a great mid summer flowering perennial and Lobelia cardinalis (cardinal flower) is a great late summer flowering perennial. Other perennial plants include Lychinis chalcedonica (Maltese Cross), Crocosmia 'Lucifer' Agastache cana, There are several threads here on this forum that discus hummer plants that will list many more. THis should give you a starting point.

Penny

o

Welcome Tony--- Penny has given you a nice starting point. Hummers are attracted to all brightly colored plants that have tubular or trumpet shaped flowers. My sister has Goldflame honeysuckle which is not invasive and she says they have been all over it already. It seems everything is behind schedule this year because of the late freezes that most people have had.

o

We just had a freeze warning LAST NIGHT! Arg.. I hope that is the last one. Sick of taking all my plants in.. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here