Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tallohiofarmboy

Trumpet Vine Trial

tallohiofarmboy
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm a horticulturist in Cincinnati, Ohio and I've been asked to recommend a flowering vine that will attract hummingbirds. Campsis radicans, a native Trumpet Vine, was one I immediately suggested.

However, people have seen superior Trumpet Vine specimens and are asking if any of the better plants offer the same food value to the hummingbirds.

So, I investigated two superior Trumpet Vines: Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm' and Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' ( a cross between Campsis radicans and Campsis grandiflora).

What I discovered is that the Campsis grandiflora is from China, where it evolved in the absence of hummingbirds (hummingbirds are only found in the Americas).

Further, I found one link on the internet stating that Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' is devoid of nectar. Hummingbirds will be attracted to it, but not get any sustenance from it. However, I found a thousand links from nurseries stating the opposite.

Despite the similarities of Campsis radicans and Campsis grandiflora, does Campsis grandiflora offer any nectar, or food value, for hummingbirds? Has anyone done a comparison?

Thank you,

Mark.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions