Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know???

Posted by shellys4811 6b KY (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 14:25

I have been feeding hummers here for over 10 years. I have always had plenty of them - enough to empty three large feeders in a couple of days! Suddenly, after seeing a couple during the end of April, I dont see them at all! I'm really sad, because I have always enjoyed sitting and watching them for hours and now - NONE!
Does anybody have a clue as to why I dont see them anymore? Or is anyone else having the same problem? I haven't changed anything that I've been doing in the past, so I just can't figure this out. Please help!

Thanks,
Shelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know???

I often have fewer hummers after a cold front and thunder storms in the spring. But in a few days, the activity at the feeders is back to normal. Haven't you had some bad weather there in KY lately?
Rob

o

Have you had excessive heat lately? It does not take much for the nectar to spoil. If it does it is tough to get them to come back this season. Sometimes if you move the feeders to different locations you can get them back this year, the little buggers have great memory.
Hope this helps.
Frank

o

Thanks so much for the answers!

Rob - As a matter of fact, we have had an abundance of bad weather back to back for several weeks! So your post makes perfect sense! And our temps have been much, much cooler than normal!

Frank - Actually, as said above, temps have been on the cool side lately. I am careful not to let my nectar spoil, but thanks for trying to help. I really do appreciate that!

Maybe after Mother Nature get things back to normal, my little friends will make an appearance.

Thank you again!
Shelly

o

Shelly please condisider that the hummingbirds are nesting and they have plenty of naural feed. Be patient with them.. Im am sure that when they are through with raising they families they will be back you you. Along with the litle ones.

This is the way it has been with me ever since I started watching the hummingbirds. They arrive then comes the time to breed and they are absent for several week. You will only see one from time to time.

I also have to contend with Japanese honeysuckle that blooms all up and down the road. But not the mimsoa trees are beginning to bloom. They just drip nectar.

You will see you little jewels again. But in their time now ours.

o

Di, that's what I've found as well...the short absence of my resident hummers coincides with the Japanese honeysuckle bloom period. It's so prolific here in the south that it seems to me the hummers really don't need our feeders, even for an easy meal. But luckily it only blooms for a couple of weeks. Hopefully they're also nesting and eating lots of gnats!

o

The past several days the hummingbirds have been showing back up at my feeders. I have noticed the nesting mark on the females.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here