Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Newbie looking for information

Karen Marcely
14 years ago

I have never really seriously tried to attract hummingbirds and this year I would like to try. I live in Central NY and wondered if anyone from this area has much luck with getting hummers to their feeders? Is the population low here and if I just put out 2 feeders in the past week, did I miss my "window" for attracting them, as I see on the map they would have migrated in mid-April. My other questions are how high do you need to put the feeders, how far apart, and how close to a window (so I can see from my kitchen)? I have 2 feeders, one is 6' high and other is only about 4'. They are only a couple feet from each other at my pond, near some shrubs for shade and protection. Do they need to be farther away and can they be out in the open? And lastly, I don't want to put all my "eggs into one basket" to be disappointed by not getting hummers, can I also do other bird feeders around my yard? I have a pond and I love to attract all types of birds.

Comments (4)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Hi kmarcel
    I am in western NY so not too terribly far away. The migration actually started in late Feb and the early birds did hit central NY around the end of April. There may be still some coming through. I am still waiting myself and my feeder has been out since Easter. I had a migrant show up just for the night 2 weeks ago but nothing since. Populations in NY state are not as good as in other states like Louisiana Texax or even NJ but we do get them. You can hang other feeders as well as hummer feeders without a problem. I hang several feeders in a season. I start out with one or two in the spring and after they arrive I add one a week depending on the number of hummers I have. Some are on shepherds hoods some hang from arbors some under the eaves of the house so the height can vary but I wouldn't hang them too low because of cats and other predators. Near your pond in the shade is ideal. I would keep them at least 10 feet apart but you don't have to. It is important to clean the feeders and refill with fresh sugar water every three days once it warms up.

Penny

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Penny!
    How many have you ever seen at one time? I think I have only seen a one or two in the entire time I've lived in my house. I've put a feeder out before and never had anything, but I'm hoping that if I am more diligent this time and not give up so soon that eventually they will come around. But I fear that there just aren't that many around Central NY, just because I don't see them often.
    Karen

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Penny!
    How many have you ever seen at one time? I think I have only seen a one or two in the entire time I've lived in my house. I've put a feeder out before and never had anything, but I'm hoping that if I am more diligent this time and not give up so soon that eventually they will come around. But I fear that there just aren't that many around Central NY, just because I don't see them often.
    Karen

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Since I have been in NY the most I have seen was six in my yard but that was after the juveniles left the nest. That was three years ago. Last year my population was down and this year I am still waiting. Location near wooded areas, streams brooks, etc. along with what you plant or don't plant cam make a different in attracting them and keeping them in the area. If there isn't natural habitat to support their needs it will be difficult to keep them in an area but it can be done, it is just more difficult. My whole yard, back front and sides, is planted with nectar plants almost exclusively for hummers or hummers and butterfloes. It can take a LOT of patience waiting to attract that first hummer and keeping them happing in your yard.

Penny

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions