Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsgns

where did the hummers go?

lsgns
15 years ago

I have had several hummers feeding from the five different feeders in my front and back yard along with flowers they like. Just this last week they seem to have dissappereared.

Anyone have any ideas where they went? I live in Edmond, Oklahoma.

Comments (8)

• penny1947
    15 years ago

There is a good chance they are nesting. When the eggs hatch and the babies can be left alone they will start to be more visible at the feeders.

Penny

• cajunlori
    15 years ago

In South Louisiana, we've hit our first major heat wave, and several of my hummer enthusiasts and I have experienced the same abrupt departures. We'd like them to be nesting, but doubt that's where they all went. More than likely, they've migrated north where it's not quite as hot. But they've VANISHED!!!

• penny1947
    15 years ago

cajunlori
    In S. Louisiana the major flood of Rubythroats have moved north except for the few that do nest in the outlying woods or the occasional late migrant. She only sees one or two a day or every couple of days. Her population increases as fall migration gets into full swing. She also has many birds that overwinter in her area including western vagrants. If you don't already keep feeders up year round you should definitely consider doing so. She gets Buff-bellied, Black-chinned, and Rufous each fall through the winter.

Penny

• cajunlori
    15 years ago

Well, I tried but didn't see anything after October 8th. Last summer we had rubythroats throughout, as did my other crazed "birders" - August and September were busiest of course, but it's just too depressing to think we're all done until then! (All I've ever seen in Louisiana is the rubythroat, though I'd welcome any hummer into my backyard!!!) Any other insight?

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Are you close enough to the Gulf to not get prolonged freezing temps. Those that I know in and around the N.O. area grow a lot of fall and winter blooming plants as opposed to those that have their peak during the summer. I know that they all seem to swear by the Ugly Shrimp Plant, Pineapple Sage and any good nectar plant that is prone to blooming as the days start to shorten. I will see if I can scout up some of Nan's list of plants that bloom for her in the cooler months.

Penny

• penny1947
    15 years ago

This list is mainly plants that hummers use later in the season. THis was Nan's partioal list of what was blooming and being used in December. I think Justicia brandegeana (Ugly Shrimp Plant) is her number one plant once it gets going. It does take a while to bring the birds in during the fall migration but if you are persistant I am sure you will eventually succeed. I thin Nan had 14 winter visitors this year which is more than I have in the summer months.

Justicia brandegeana
    Salvia madrensis
    Salvia leucantha
    Calliandra emarginata [Dwarf Powderpuff]
    Calliandra californica [Baja Fairy Duster]
    Calliandra haematocephala [Powderpuff]
    Abutilon pictum
    Cuphea micropetala
    Odontonema strictum

Penny

• mrstor
    15 years ago

Have the same problem here in southeast Missouri. Had a dozen or more Hummers hitting the feeders, then one day they were all gone. People started posting on our little local forum wondering what had happened to the little birds.

I have one male that returns now, but he just does a fly by and only stops once in a while to dip into the sugar water.

This is the first time it's happened to me. Once the Hummers arrive, I usually have them all summer long. I do hope that they are just nesting and finding some good nectar producing flowers in the wild and will be back to visit my feeders later on.

I really miss the little critters !!!

• penny1947
    15 years ago

In a lot of areas the honeysuckele both in gardens and in the wild is also blooming and that will slow them down at the feeders

Penny

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions