Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Is it common for humming bird feeders to drip?

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

I filled one up and within 4 hours the whole thing was empty without so much as one humming bird to be found.

I have boiled 5 gallons of water with sugar over the past week, and it seems I am always having to refill an empty container upon awaking in the am and not due to humming birds:0(

Is it common for those feeders to drip a few drops every few mintes at a time? I can see the air bubbles rise every 5 minutes then a few drops comes out. Mine does.

First time here and any help would be appreciated. Even a suggestion for a good feeder.

Mike

Comments (14)

• kr222
    12 years ago

Place your feeder in some shade. The sun is heating up the sugar water and increasing the air pressure inside the feeder. Make sure you let your nectar cool. Then hang the feeder in a shady spot, and you should be alright....unless there's a hole in the feeder. :)
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

• tima9209
    12 years ago

No, it's not common. It's unacceptable, even if your feeder is in direct sun.

FWIW, I've got three of these, which I've been using for 4-5 seasons:

http://www.amazon.com/Birdscapes%C2%AE-279-Deluxe-Hummingbird-capacity/dp/B000HHSIKU

They don't leak, and the hummingbirds love 'em. I also have a Hummzinger saucer feeder which gets maybe 1/3 the traffic.

• kr222
    12 years ago

I have the feeder that Tima recommended. HATE IT! Although it is attractive to look at, it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean out the base thoroughly. I should have saved my $15 and bought several of the $4 Walmart feeders. They not only get the most traffic but are easy to pull apart to clean. A pipe cleaner comes in handy for the ports.
    Kim

• tima9209
    12 years ago

Here's how I keep the feeders I love and you hate spotless, inside and out. I put the base under the water faucet, and I run hot water (~ 130F) through the base while I fill and empty the glass bottle with hot water three times, which takes at most a couple of minutes. When necessary, and it hasn't been for the 6-8 weeks I've had them out this year, I soak them in a bleach solution.

Here's a tip: The little white ports pop out, which gives better access to the interior. I remove them only when I do the bleach soak or need to use the pipe cleaner, which is infrequent. I haven't needed to do either so far this year.

I'd be interested to hear of a bottle feeder that's easier to clean, but it has to have a glass bottle (so it won't yellow in the sun), and it must not leak. However, the one I linked to is so easy to maintain, it's just curiosity that leads me to ask. I bought a fancier one a couple of years ago that did leak, and I'm not not looking to replace the three good ones I already have.

• kr222
    12 years ago

Even with taking the white ports out, it still seems more time consuming to clean. I looked at the reviews on Amazon and it looks like many others agree. It is pretty though if you're willing to do more work every couple of days.

My cheap feeders haven't dripped or turned yellow after multiple seasons for me. Perhaps that's because they don't get exposed to intense sun...trees nearby shade through part of the afternoon that is the hottest here.

What really matters is that you enjoy maintaining the feeders and watching the beautiful hummers visit. No matter what feeder you have, it should be a positive experience.

Kim

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. Thanks so far everyone.

I tried mine again and every 3 minutes or so, a bubble of air would rise up and then followed by a few drips, and then it stops for another 3 minutes or so then again.

I paid 15 dollars for it at Home Goods and it is a beautiful glass shaped one. I will take a picture tomorrow and show you all. Thanks again for your time and suggestions. I saw the ones at Walmart and thought they would be dicey since they were so cheap. Hum....

Mike

• ctnchpr
    12 years ago

Mike, The First Nature feeders may be cheap, but, IMO, they're the best feeders on the market.

Here is a link that might be useful: First Nature feeders in action...

• kr222
    12 years ago

ctnchpr, That video is amazing! They are just swarming to your feeders. Wow.

I have several of those feeders, and they're my favorite so far as well.

Get a cheap one. You won't be disappointed. And if you are, the worst you are out is 4 bucks.

Kim

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I'd always kept plants for the hummingbirds and never fed them, but after a harsh winter took out some of their favs last year I began feeding while waiting for replacement plants and shrubs to mature -

Mike, I wanted something more decorative than the red plastic feeders and tried three, returned them (they carried prices more like garden art than feeders). All three dripped and I had ants, yellow jackets interested in the sugar water on my deck, walkway, in very short order. And, hummingbirds weren't becoming overly active at those feeders.

The hummingbirds were much happier with the saucer type red plastic feeders with yellow flower ports - so much for good taste :) They don't drip at all or leak, are easy to clean.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Can't beat a Perky Pet hummingbird feeder!

Why are you making up 5 gallons of feed at a time, just curious?

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have used the feeder tima mentional also. Never liked as a lot of bug were getting in it.

As far as the leaking goes are you sure it is leaking out. Could it be other creatures such as bats or raccoons. Ive heard of bats emptying feeders overnight with no problem.

• tima9209
    12 years ago

FWIW, I get more bugs in my Hummzinger saucer feeder than my bottle feeders. In fact I would not buy another Hummzinger, but I would definitely buy another bottle feeder just like the ones I already have, which have been far superior to the 3-4 other kinds of bottle feeders I've tried, including cheap plastic ones and a more expensive decorative glass ones, which was a leaky piece of junk.

• hcself71
    8 years ago

I found a solution that has kept my feeders from dripping and attracting yellow jackets and other unwanted pests. This only works for Humzinger-style feeders (not the standard large flower, smaller feeders.)

I bought pipe sealant in the hardware section of my grocery store; pipe sealant is non-toxic. I also bought a roll of plumber's tape--the really thin tape used to help pipes seal up.

First I cleaned everything really well. Then popped out all of the flowers and slathered a bunch of I then slathered the pipe sealant around where the flowers go in--you want to use a really good amount--and pushed them back in. I then did the same where the top met the bottom "bowl". Next, I wrapped a generous amount of the plumber's tape around that same place to really seal it up.

The pipe sealant comes in little tubes and is kind of like working with toothpaste and putty mixed together. (Note: It doesn't fully dry up. It's not supposed to.)

The end result is somewhat ugly with the white tape and the white goop around the flowers, but it sufficiently not only stopped the yellow jackets from coming (they tried and tried, but finally stopped.)

You will have to replace the tape and pipe sealant now and then around the base, as it expands and contracts with the day heating up and cooling off--and especially so if it's in direct sunlight like mine are.

I have a lot of hummingbirds who come my way all summer and all winter (we have Anna's Hummingbirds here in Oregon, and they don't migrate), and they've been very happy about not having the yellow jackets scare them off in the warmer months.

• lexilu73
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here is a glass feeder that is very easy to clean. I bought one years ago and have since bought more. They come in different colors. My hummingbirds like the teal one the best. If you have ever been to a Dr JB presentation, he did research on the color when designing the feeder. The bottom pops apart for cleaning and the yellow bee guards also pop off. Its a great feeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Songbird-Essentials-Feeder-Yellow-Flowers/dp/B0045DW93Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456777900&sr=8-1&keywords=hummingbird+feeder+dr+jb

Also, there is a solution to the Aspects Hummzinger. The large 16 oz is designed to attach small rubber bee guards on the inside. My local garden center keeps them in stock. A pack of around 12 or so is $3. They are hidden on the inside and solves all bee problems.

https://www.horseloverz.com/wild-birds/feeders/hummingbird/aspects-hummzinger-nectar-guard-tips?gdftrk=gdfV27555_a_7c1161_a_7c2883_a_7c5_d_633126&ev_pid=200-385695&ev_ppid=121301049370&ev_adtype=pla&ev_cmpg=Shopping&gclid=CLW4mcjrncsCFYImHwodXMYJqg

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks
More Discussions