Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyisz

Hanging Baskets/Trailing Plants

ladyisz
17 years ago

Hey everyone! :)

What are everyone's favorite hanging basket type plants for hummers?! I'm especially interested in trailing plants. I've got some nasturtium seeds that I'll start tonight. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

Comments (16)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I use Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' in my baskets for shade and part shade. It is basically an upright plant but the panicles of flowers do drape over the side of the containers.

• ladyisz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Penny. :)

I actually have Fuchsias also in my shady spots! I found out last year how much they loved them, so made sure to stock up this year.

I guess I should have mentioned that these baskets will be in full sun all day though. Sorry about that! I knew I was forgetting *something*... :p

• christy2828
    17 years ago

I have a spot for two hanging plants on my deck, right next to one of my feeders. However, it gets MANY hours of sunlight a day, and I usually get Petunia's. I love these plants, and the hummers go to them, but the sun usually takes them. Does anyone have a suggestion for a hanging basket flowering plant that can truly withstand HOURS of sunlight, including heavy afternoon sunlight? Thanks, Christy

• hbwright
    17 years ago

I'm surprised the sun bothered your petunias. I had petunias around my mailbox and had to keep pulling more and more of it out because it wen't insane. I had the bed mixed with different plants and the petunias completely covered the whole area.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Million Bells can take the sun but need gobs of water as do the petunias. Another is bat-faced cuphea and again lots of water.

Penny

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I just bought a trailing geranium. I have never had one before and I don't know that the hummers will use it but it was only $5.00 and bright and cheery so I thought i would hang it in the middle of the yard to give it a little instant color while I wait for other things to blooms.

Penny

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

You could try lantana which can take sun and droughty conditions. I have a verbena that seems to want a bit more water (it is potbound and I need to put it in something) but both are related and will trail. I might put some Soilmoist crystals in with the soil if I repot it.

• myoneandonly
    17 years ago

Christy, I've never had hummers before, since I just moved here. I have two window boxes full of red and blue supertunias and white bicopa from Proven Winners. These flowers are really taking off, crowding me right off my balcony. There are also cascading ivy leafed geraniums called king of the balcony and princess of the balcony which look like they may flower in a week or so. My orientation is south/southwest and I am surprised how few hours of morning sun we get now that spring is here, with more late afternoon to hot evening sun. I picked up a cypress vine or maybe it's a cardinal climber with very feathery deep green leaves. It says it'll get brilliant red flowers that the hummers just love. It's a real thrill to see the humming birds and I want more. Gotta go see if they're here. Best of luck.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

I've had petunias ( bright fuscia color, if it matters) in full sun hanging baskets too and they did fine, but it was right next to the feeder and the hummers pretty much ignored them while they fought over the feeder. Think I may try some of the other choices, but the petunias sure did brighten up the porch. Sandy

• ctmike
    17 years ago

I've had some awesome wave petunias but the hummers never seemed interested. They love the million bells and they would also use the fluorescent red hanging ivy geranium but I'm not sure it really offers them much.

• farmerfields
    16 years ago

For full sun baskets, I favor the Verbena, Petunia, Portulaca, Lysamachia(sp?). You might also try pots of Lady in Red Salvia...Hummers love 'em but they are free-seeders and can literally take over an area if you don't thin out the volunteers.
    Pineapple sage and Nicotiana are good attracters too.
    For part sun or shade, the Fuschias, Cupheas, Impatiens are hard to beat if you plant them in a 12-14' basket.

Also, look at the Proven Winner website for suggested mixed containers. Some good ideas and ideal plant varieties there.

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

Abutilon megapotamicum
    {{gwi:985545}}

• honeylou_peoplepc_com
    12 years ago

I just purchased a beautiful bicopa plant for my balcony. I had good luck with one two years ago, but last year did not. I do not have a green thumb, and would like my plant to look beautiful all summer. Perhaps I water too much...or too little????? My balcony only gets alittle sun. Thanks for your input.

• dave_k_gw
    12 years ago

I had pink Wave Petunia (original, not improved) in a hanging basket a couple of years ago, in sun. I saw a rubythroat visiting it several times. As the plant grew larger it needed water at least once a day. I like to add Vermiculite to the potting mix to hold more water.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I dont do the hanging basket/trailers but I do have a fuchsia gartenmeister that hummers starting using some during migration. The problem is its only about a foot off the ground and would get better attention next season if I raised this plant .

• dave_k_gw
    12 years ago

My Gartenmeister stayed short too, and in my small fenced in backyard It probably wasn't seen by many hummingbirds.