Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmckoy_gw

Hummingbirds disappeared

pmckoy
13 years ago

Hi. Over the weekend I had alot of hummingbirds, they were at my feeders all day, usually about every 5 minutes. I have 4 feeders in front of my sunporch, so I can take pictures of them. I have planted a hummingbird garden for them also. All of a sudden, they have disappeared. I haven't seen 1 today, and only 3 yesterday. Any ideas on this?? Thanks

Comments (34)

• singleton165
    13 years ago

Funny you should ask. I just read an article that was posted by Corunum on the New England Gardening forum. Basically once nesting season starts only the males will venture out to the feeders occasionally, because they are busy finding insects (protein) to feed the babies.
    Tara

Here is a link that might be useful: About Hummingbirds

• pmckoy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wondered if might have something to do with nesting, although I did see a female out and about this morning early. I took all the feeders down and scrubbed them out really well, swished them in a bleach solution, and then thoroughly rinsed them, so they now have REALLY clean feeders. I usually change the nectar every 3-4 days, but have only rinsed them in the past. Any other ideas to get them back???? I miss them!!

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Wish I could help pmckoy. Hopefully they will come back soon.

• jguard
    13 years ago

I have had only females at my feeder. I haven't seen one male yet. I've seen about 5 females in about an hour. Nothing exciting but I need to put out more plants and feeders. I only have the one feeder right now.

• marnamartinez_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We have returning yearly at least 6 hummingbirds, they were here about 1 week over a month ago and now we have NONE. No males or females. Everyone in our area of Northeast Texas are commenting on the fact they have disappeared totally. Breeding is not the issue. We always had these same hummingbirds throughout the summer. We usually had to remove feeders to get them to leave in the winter. WHERE ARE THEY?

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Don't take your feeders down to get the birds to leave! They know exactly when to leave. Now there might be a bird that is running late (although I have never seen it), but the birds will just go to someone elses feeder. I'm on the other side of Texarkana and have not noticed a drop in birds, but the heat has seemed to slow the numbers during the hottest part of the day. How many feeders do you have up?

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

Hubby and I have been wondering what happened to our hummers...We put the feeders up, had a bunch of hummers and then none....I did notice, just the other day, we had one but that's all I've seen....I've been worried and really hope they come back.....

• jolj
    12 years ago

Will hummingbirds nest near each other or are they more like bluebirds?

• kimroy
    12 years ago

i have had the same experience this year i live in northwestern ont canada and about the 15th of may i had about 20 birds in which i have 6 feeders up about the 15th of june they have all but one male have dissapeared. i have seen this before but not in those numbers. the only thing i can think of is maybe some of those birds that visited earlier were migrants going somewhere else. does anybody have an idea a hummer needs to nest as far as territory goes thanks

• tracey_nj6
    12 years ago

Still very little activity for me here in NNJ; worst year in quite a few.

• bettyjean-2008
    12 years ago

Every year we have lots and lots of hummers, but this year we only have the occasional male, I wonder why?

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Thats pretty much their cycle. They arrive and you may see a few , then mating then nesting and you see very little of hummers then nesting is over and you may get more as the new hummers are out.

But overall here the last couple of years there seemed to be a decline of hummers here even during migration when previously I had been having lots of hummers then the numbers just fell off for some reason. Every couple days I was putting out maybe 1gal. plus every couple of days. Is it because I now have more flowers they can use, I dont know.

This season I had my usual 6 hummers during most of the season then nesting was over I got a few more but the last several days especially at evening I have been seeing lots of hummers in my yard at least 15 or so. During the day I think they just make all their pit stops, eating bugs and locating different feeding spots. But I still have been having a good amount this year during the day compared to the last couple of years. But at dusk the last 1/2 hr to 1 hour before dark it has been a frenzy. Now for the next two weeks it should turn into full migration from what Ive seen the last few days. After the two weeks a lot of the southward bound hummers will have passed thru and it should start tapering off. So anyone who has had trouble seeing hummers be sure your feeders are clean and refreshed as the first two weeks in august is prime migration time, so even if you havent had any you will see some during this time. They wont hang long maybe a day or two as they are moving thru. Best time is early and late whichever serves your purpose for viewing.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I read you shouldn't use bleach to clean them. I use white vinegar mixed with water and a tooth brush. I would like to use bleach, but I don't want to make them sick. I guess if you rinsed them real well it wouldn't matter?

• Darlene Coppa
    6 years ago

I had so many hummingbirds in the beginning of the season they were dive-bombing each other and playing like they always do and then we had a couple really cold nights and then they were gone I hope they didn't die from the cold what do you think?

• Brian Vi
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's Spring here in Tucson and we normally have 15+ hummingbirds year round even during winter, and one we've had for 2 years that "rules" the feeder we named him Allan. There are always so many, playing, dive bombing, from early morning to dusk. The feeders are kept clean. Last week of April they all suddenly disappeared. Now there are NONE. Allan has left too. Nothing here has changed, our weather is lovely.

My first thought was maybe there is a predator coming into the garden during the night like a hawk or ? Our yard is enclosed and private and quiet, we don't use any sprays or insecticides, we have plenty of flowers, there are no ants or bees that would disturb them. No other birds seem disturbed, today I saw a mourning dove perched in the branches of the hummingbird tree. NOTE: we also had a woodpecker who used to come feed the past year too, EVEN HE IS GONE. (We sure miss Allan and his friends!

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago
    Brian Vi
    Don't know if your post is 2019. I Googled "hummingbirds disappeared" and found Houzz link.
    I'm in S.E. GA and am experiencing the same problem. We usually have more hummingbirds than we can count! They were here in April- first part of May now only 1 or 2.
    So sad to see them disappear .I use no pesticides either. But we did have a long cool rainy period.
    Maybe they'll return.
    Good luck to you!
  • mr1010
    4 years ago

You want them to stick around? Plant a bunch of hummer attracting plants and they'll

be there much longer and maybe all season. Some years I have them year round in

9A/B. But once they do show up in early spring, they will be here all summer.

My whole yard is devoted to Hummingbird and Butterfly attracting plants. Sometimes they share plants but hummers have their very special favorites.

Right now the hummers are enjoying Salvia Amistad, Black and Blue Salvia, Salvia

Purple Majesty and Purple Porterweed.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

My hummers are back!
    More numbers than before.
    I have trumpet vine,daylilies,salvia,milk & wine lillies blooming.
    Filling feeders w/fresh sugar water every other day.

• HU-420540888
    4 years ago

I had 3 and 4 the last 4 years. This year it was a new one. Beautiful too. Guiseppe I named him because he was red white and green like an Italian flag! Too cute. He came studily for a month. I haven't seen him or any hummingbirds for a week. Im so discouraged and sad

• HU-463425795
    4 years ago

I googled on here because I have 5 feeders off my back porch and they are spread out nicely. I’ve had more hummingbirds this year than ever before. I love to sit on my porch and watch them. About two weeks ago, they just disappeared. I haven’t seen one bird in two weeks. I don’t know what I’ve done. I checked the feeders and refilled them. Nothing! I’m really upset about this. Help if you can.

• mblan13
    4 years ago

They could have eggs in the nest, and are not roaming as much as they were a few weeks. If your not close to their nesting sites you may not see them much till the eggs hatch, grow up and leave the nest. In my area this is usually late June or early July. It's been cold in my area, so It might be a but later this year. Once they leave the nesting areas the adults and juviniles will seek out and guard good feeding sites.

• Jenny Churchill
    4 years ago

Same thing in NH. I am told that they are "sitting on their eggs". Yeah happens every year I have 4 hummingbirds sometimes 5 that show up (depending on weather) 2nd to 3rd week of May. They're around alot for 2-3 weeks then just disappear for 2-4 weeks. My father inlaw said they sit on their eggs alot during this time. Sure enough every year 1st week of July they're back and stay back till Septemeber. I have ALOT of Red bee balm which is one of their favorite flowers and 4 feeders. They'll buzz around my yard literally from daylight till dusk almost dark. I saw one at feeeder few weeks back at like 8:30 at night I couldn't believe it. Hope to see them back around soon.

• furca
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, this Is the month of April in the NW and hummers are nesting. They are sitting on eggs so continue to keep feeders clean and refill daily with fresh solution.

• HU-303986757
    3 years ago

They came 2 weeks ago fir 3 days then disappeared?

• ss555
    3 years ago

So relieved to read the comments. Seems to explain why I haven’t seen them the last two days after seeing them constantly. I’m going to be a hummingbird Grandmother.😄. Love it, love them!

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    3 years ago

ss555,I noticed I posted on this site one year ago. The exact same thing happened this year too. Many came and only a few males remained. Now 2-3 weeks later they're back in droves!
    I keep 5 feeders in different locations and clean them and add fresh sugar solution as they're emptied . I only put small amounts in so it doesn't sour. Fermented solution can cause their tongues to swell and they die.
    If hummingbird keepers can't provide fresh sugar solution they need to stop putting out feeders.
    Enjoy your bird watching 😃

• HU-235997691
    2 years ago

I have been feeding my hummingbirds for 30 years. I have 7 feeders in my patio that are always clean and fresh, and I haven't seen one bird in the last few weeks . WHY ?? They are the only family I have, and I miss them SO MUCH !! feeling heartbroken and sad !!

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    2 years ago

I just started to have a hummingbird feeder put out in my balcony garden. I change the sugar solution every 3 days. Today I planted a bunch of annuals in 3 window boxes and 2 fuschias in 2 hanging pots. The window boxes, adjacent to where the feeder is hung, now contain bright colored geraniums, deep purple petunias, white wax begonias, and Sundial Mix portulacas. I'm wondering how long it might take to attract some hummers.

• HU-378694564
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Just moved to a new studio with a beautiful garden with tons of flowers and we were delighted to see a hummingbird family using the garden. Was lovely to see the young ones feeding and resting (they rest a lot). But now they're gone - and like others, I'm really missing them and worried. A neighbour has been clearing the field across the parking lot and wondered if the noise of the heavy machinery might have disturbed them. Am hoping they have just taken their young on a tour of the surrounding area - we don't have feeders, so assuming they will need to have a wider area to gather enough food . . .

• HU-728078351
    2 years ago

In Giles county Virginia not one has come to my feeders something is wrong!

• Jenny Churchill
    2 years ago

Here in New Hampshire I was told they disappear (do still see them at feeders just not as much in June as did in May) because sitting on their eggs. Around mid July they'll be back full time visiting feeders and flowers.

• Nancy Stephens
    2 years ago

It's June 16 at the time of this writing and not one has come to my feeder yet. I am in Connecticut. I admit I'm a little late putting my feeder out (only 3 days ago) but I am using the same sugar water recipe (no red dye) in a typical red feeder as years before so I'm a bit concerned since by this time I have several of the little guys. I hope it's just because they are nesting as Jenny above mentioned. Still seems strange that I haven't seen one by now.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions