Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papilion1

How long does it take

bluesky1 (7a PA)
15 years ago

to attract hummingbirds? I just put out a feeder last week. I guess that I'm kinda late? I live in SE PA. My sister lives only a few miles from me & she has lots of them. I put out a second feeder today.

Comments (7)

• seamommy
    15 years ago

You may have to wait a week or two, and will probably even have to change out your sugar water before they find you. I had five feeders out on May 2 when I got my first hummer this year, but he wasn't at the feeder, he was flying around the wildflowers in the back pasture. They'll find you though, don't worry. Cheryl

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

It's never too late! The activity is starting to pick up now anyway, so your timing isn't bad. If you really want to get them around quick, try putting out some containers of annuals near the feeder (windowbox, hanging basket, etc.). Red is the most attractive color to hummers, but they'll come to any nectar-producing bloom. There are multiple forums in here with great plant suggestions that would work in your zone.

I've also heard some people claim that if you tie some bright surveyor's tape (that flimsy neon pink/orange stuff) to the feeder they find it quicker. Haven't tried it myself...I'm sure it looks strange! But whatever works to get those hummers is worth it.

• Luv My Conifers
    15 years ago

I am in eastern PA also, and haven't seen any either. My feeder has been out for about a month.

But now I am just wondering... will Mockingbirds scare away the Hummingbirds? We seem to have a lot of annoying mockingbirds around this year, and they appear to be pretty territorial. I saw a few chasing a big black crow away from a tree! So do you think that is why we are not seeing any hummingbirds yet this year?

• krobra
    15 years ago

I've had my feeders up since mid april and have only seen one male so far this year on april 22. I'm guessing he was a early bird and probably just passing through. I have total confidence that the regulars will soon be here as the weather warms and the flowers really start bloom .. B)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Also in eastern PA. I only see an occasional hummer jetting by. None yet at the feeder. I think they are busy at the nest. Its been a cool spring and things may be a week or so behind schedule.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

I am not in PA but in Central IL and have only seen two hummers about 1 1/2 weeks ago at my feeders, haven't seen any since :(

What a rainy and soggy spring here, we have had over 15" of rain this month.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Migration seems to be 'off' this year. It started out well coming in from the Gulf but then it just dropped of suddenly as they moved inland and northward. My first siting was about a week late but it was one that was still migrating northward never to be seen again. My first male arrived 3 weeks later this year and the first female arrived the next day. Nothing since. My feeders have been up since April 1st. There are still reports coming in of migrants coming in from the Gulf and moving northward. If you haven't had hummers in the past it may take a while before they discover you and you will have to have patience. There are lots of seasoned hummergardeners in my general area and around the country that are also still waiitng for their first of the season

Penny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions