Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wine and roses weigela for my hummers

Posted by rachelleharris z5/Lansing,mi (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 17:31

I have read alot about these. I hear they are great for the hummers. I found mine for $4.96 at Meijers. Bought them all. Like 9 of them. Made great Mothers day gifts. Mine still have not bloomed yet but when they do how do I shear them to make rebloom. Do I cut the whole branch or just the part that has the bloom.
I have checked everywhere for this info. Since I always got great answers here before I thought I would ask.
I still have only had one sighting this year. But I will tell you I got a friend interested and now she has regulars. Only had a feeder up two weeks. I told her about the forum so I am sure she will read this as well. Oh well I am happy for her.
Rachelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wine and roses weigela for my hummers

I have about 15 weigela W & R in their 3rd year. Next to the hummingbird feeder, I have 7 in a row.

I've seen hummers 4 times this year. The last 2 days with the weigelas in bloom, I have seen a male each day. He tries the feeder mixture too.

Last year, I cut my weigelas after blooming to fit their space. They grow in all directions. The ones I trimmed, Came back loaded with blooms. In fact, they are fuller than the ones I didn't trim. I will trim mine later this Summer. This is what works for me.

o

Should I just trim the whole bush or just the blooms?
Help?
Rachelle

o

I trim the bush. The plant will get long-limbed after two years. I'm going to look for limbs that are not full and trim down to the full area. I will probably do it in a month. Once established, these seem to be sturdy plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here