Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

This Must Be Courtship

chescobob
15 years ago

I was outside taking some images of the pair of hummers that arrived in the last few days. Then I noticed the male visit the female in a weigela plant near the feeder. She is sitting amidst the leaves in the center of the plant. The male then began flying above her in a 30 foot "U." He would start at the top of one side of his U, then pass the weigela--and her--at the lowest part of the U and then fly up to the top of the other side of his U. He did it over and over again flapping those wings and making an impressive buzz.

Is this a courting ritual?

Comments (13)

• bdriver71
    15 years ago

The courting has begun. Fascinating to watch. Still waiting for my females. At least 2 males waiting too.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Yes it is. Last year I was able to witness several different displays and one was like you described, but I also saw small loops, crazy straight in the air and back down . I even saw one male drive a female to the ground. But It was related to me by an expert that the most serious display was the side to side , not covering more than a foot or so. It is usually then that the male will follow the female to the rendezvous point.

• chescobob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve:

Thanks. I must have a fast moving male. Not only was he doing the side-to-side within a foot to the female hummingbird today but I think he did the same to a goldfinch.

The little guy was making frequent trips to the nectar all day.

• jen4_2008
    15 years ago

OOOOO I've seen them doing that and I just thought they where fighting lol. Now I know.

• sam_mocotx
    15 years ago

Courtship has begun here. Their intake of nectar has increased too or I have more than the 3 I have been able to id. I just went through 1 cup of sugar water today alone. I put in 2 cups just now. One was sitting on a nearby branch waiting for me to put the feeder back up!

Sam

• chescobob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After I wrote my last post, I went outside to change the water in the bath. Then, the male hummer was doing his "U" loop again over a small bush. I did not see the female in it but when he came to the bottom of his "U" he let out a sweet little series of chirps--over and over again.

After that he went into a tree above me. I was filling the bath with a hose and all of a sudden the male came down to me and sat about a foot away from me. I looked at my shirt and noticed it had red in it.

I didn't see the female though. Maybe the male's back and forth with the goldfinch upset her. The poor little fellow kept sitting in the tree waiting for her to come back.

• chescobob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The female returned around 8 PM last night. The male was sitting on his tree perch about 10 feet above and 30 feet from the feeder. She landed in a weigela plant again and he did his "U" several more times. After that, she had a long drink of nectar and they flew off.

The litle guy won't miss any female that comes along. He's got a system and he appears to be a lonely guy in desperate need of companionship.

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

chescobob, *sniff* That's such a lovely story *sniff*... But seriously, it sounds like you have the beginnings of a resident population. From the descriptions of your place on the Bird Watching forum, I believe you have the perfect spot. Congratulations!!!

• chescobob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just came back from lunch and the little man was at the feeder. I have a new batch for him today. He was probably busy all morning with loops and Us. If he stays away from the goldfinch, I think he will be OK. She's a little big for him.

Thanks. This is a very special place that I found by accident. Eagles, osprey and various hawks nesting within a mile; vultures, red-bellies, flickers, titmice, nuthatch, chickadees, etc. nesting in my woods in back. And now a very real possibility of a hummer family, if "Little Man" doesn't give up.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Yep, sounds like you have a great setting there for everything, Im envious. The male hummers will try to mate with all the females he can. I didnt know they were into finches too.

• ankraras
    15 years ago

Appears to be a happy couple. Would she be nesting nearby?

{{gwi:4590}}

• chescobob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve:

"Little Man" seems to like black and yellow. (Such an obvious name but its my first hummer this early.)

Last evening, there was a bumblebee crawling across the ground that must have injured its wings or something. Little Man was on the feeder and went over to the bee to investigate. He decided it wasn't mate-worthy.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Chescobob-- Once a male defines his territory he will protect it against all comers other males and even bees. He may have just tried to run the bee out but realized it was injured. Hummers will feed on small insects, knats, mosquitoes, small spiders and such. They use the nectar as fuel to fly and find these protein rich snacks which they need. One of the fun ways to watch a hummer up close is to buy a window feeder with suction cups to attach to your window. Once they get used to you being there they wont hesitate to feed while you are on the other side of the window long as you dont do a lot movement. I sit at my pc and have two feeders on that window and the hummers come and go at those feeders all day long. Thats not happening much yet this year since there are not enough hummers yet.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets
More Discussions