Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daddydon5

no hummingbirds yet

daddydon5
16 years ago

Normally, I see my first hummingbirds by Mother's Day. This year, I have not seen one yet. I tried the saucer type Humzinger this year, but returned to the bottle feeder I used to use, but still no action. I live in suburban Washington, DC in Montgomery County. Has anyone ever had this experience? Is there a point at which you just pack it up until next year? This is so frustrating!

Comments (30)

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I feel your pain :) I'm in Laurel, not too far from you. I usually see my first one the first week of June. This year should be no exception. I do use the Humzinger and love it!! So easy to clean and fill. Good luck, hope you see yours soon, Christy

• jim_g_ma
    16 years ago

I was starting to lose hope myself (25 miles outside of Boston). My feeder has been up a month. Saturday evening we were eating dinner on our screened in front porch. Our neighbor was sitting on her step with her Kid and saw one hit our feeder and hollered over. It took a few seconds before it dawned on us and by then he was gone. Drats! But he returned 10 minutes later and I've seen him a few times since. So keep the faith (and the nectar fresh!).

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

Last year was my first hummingbird year ever. We had at least four separate ones that we could identify by their gender and coloring. This year I saw a few a week after last year's first sighting and now I'm lucky if I see one every two-three days. It's not like we're not watching. I saw a female this morning, and she looked different than the two I had seen previously, but last year we had numerous sightings an hour over a period of four months. Maybe everyone discovered HB's last year like me and have put out their own feeders and flowers and provided better places to go instead of my meager little balcony garden. I sure hope so.

• boshier
    16 years ago

We put a feeder out 2 weeks ago. I saw one hummingbird about 2 days later, haven't seen one since. How often should the nectar be changed?

JB

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Daily in this heat. :) Christy

• nursecynthia
    16 years ago

Hi, I've put out a hummingbird feeder for the past two years with no luck! Anyone else from northeast ohio? Is the area I live in too urban to for them? I like on a busy street but I put my feeder in a quiet, but visable, area. I have a red petunia hanging basket close by, I was hoping the red would attract them. Is there a best time of day to watch for them?

• yardenman
    16 years ago

In past years, I have had about 4-7 hummers all Summer. This year, my first one arrived late and I have only seen 2 at a time. Are hummers subject to West Nile Virus? I'm just not seeing them as I have in previous years.

My neighbors and I haven't been cutting down any of the cedar trees they seem to like to nest in, so it isn't creeping suburban development. I haven't smelled any sprays being used. I don't know why there are fewer of them.

I will mention that I disagree with the need for extremely frequent changing of the sugar water. In past years, I have changed them once a week and the hummers have been perfectly happy. Granted, I examine the feeders daily for any sign of mold and I hang them in the shade... But they do not need to be changed daily. I think that just discourages people from putting out hummer feeders.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Mine showed up on the 4th!!!! Obviously it depends on where you hang your feeders, as to how often you change them. My previous reply was when we were in the mid-90's, probably a good thing to change daily. But, in the 80's in the shade, you can go a few days. A week seems like a long time, but whatever works for you. It takes me 5 minutes to take 2 down, wash and refill, so I'm not so sure what could discourage people from putting out the feeders :) Christy

• trievers
    16 years ago

My first sighting was on Mother's Day, about two weeks later than usual. The hummies that visit, I've only seen two, male and female, are not the pair that frequented my feeders for the past two years. Their behaviors are far different, being very reticent to stay long and feed and don't have that curiosity factor which I adore ..."hey-there-human-wazup?"

One other attribute that puzzles me is that the ones who do come seem to have smaller body mass [do I need new glasses? LOL], so I'm thinking they are first year hummies. In past years, we were able to sit for an hour or more and have them flying in and out like it is an urban airport ... and this year, we can sit for hours and not have a single visitor.

So far, it hasn't been a very encouraging year.

• daddydon5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update on my original post -- still nothing. No sightings etc. I will keep the faith for now.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

daddydon

It seems to everyone that has them , that the weather pattern has changed when and how often they have seen them. Some had some arrive and then not see them for several days, just passer thrus. I dont think all those fancy pricy feeders do anymore to attract them than the cheap ones. I have four feeders spread around my yard and two window feeders and they use them all, but seem to favor my window feeders most of all , I think because they are a little higher up and safer to them. Im glad of that because I view them better up close. As far as the feeders go its what they get used to first and when they come [and they will] they will expect to find the feeders in the same spot and kept fresh, no less than twice a week, more often when its hotter.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

They came, then they left. I had them as early as April this year. I could tell there were at least four. Then they all but disappeared about three weeks ago. I will only see one every 3 to 5 days. I've never had this happen before. A friend who lives about 15 miles from me has experienced this same thing this year.

• betula
    16 years ago

Daddydon and Christy, I'm in Laurel, MD. I have two hummers visiting my feeder. Of course, they are always fighintg over who gets to feed. I noticed too that this year they were late in arriving. In the past I've seen them at the beginning of May. As always, it is a delight to see them back

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

I am in Ral, NC. We have about 4-6 diff ones. I see green on two of them, and ruby throats on one or 2. There is also one or two brown ones (females?) that look like they are leaving to go back and forth to a nest?
    I am very happy that I have some. I only have one feeder off the front portch with woods all around. Maybe I should get another feeder? One is starting to try to guard the feeder.
    They all seem small/skinny this year except one green (male?) one. One female always sits, drinks, and then spits some out at the end. Do you think it is slime in the sugar water that she is spitting out? Do they do that?
    Newbee to Hummers and this forum,
    Jean

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Betula, I'm in Laurel, MD, too!! I have two females so far this year. Wonder if it's the same two....

Christy :)

• daddydon5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We finally had our first spottings of the year -- a full month behind expectations. My wife called me at work today to say that she spotted a hummingbird on our new Hummzinger feeder at about 10 am. when I arrived home from work this evening there were even more spottings. We have a female and what looks like a young male so far. I went to change the nectar and as I was taking down the bottle feeder, I was "buzzed" by the female. Toward dusk, the young male came back and was perched on the bottle feeder for about a full minute before leaving for the evening. Sighting these small wonders of creation for the first time since the middle of last September brought us much enjoyment in just one day. Hopefully, we will now have return customers.
    Normally, we have our hummers until about mid September. It will be interesting to see what happens this year since we did not see our first one until now.
    I am glad I did not give up. Seeing these wonderful birds today, after such a long wait, made them even more special than normal.

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I have finally seen a 4th hummer in the yard. That's getting more like normal, finally.

And there are 3 that will feed together at one feeder. Not all at the same time, but in pairs. I know there are 3 who share in pairs because there were 2, then 1 flew to a branch where I could see it and a 3rd joined the one that remained at the feeder.

• pmshoemaker
    16 years ago

Daddyon5 -- I'm so glad I came across your posting. I'm in Frederick, just a little north of you, and haven't seen a single customer at my feeders. My wife has just about cut me off on using any more sugar! Hopefully one or two will head up this way. I had 4 regulars last year and haven't seen one yet. Here's hoping!

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Daddydon5 - Glad to read that you finally have hummers again! :)

• sitter_2007
    16 years ago

Everyone seems to be having my problem. I expected lots more hummers because last year(which was my first) I had 8 or 10 at the feeder at one time. They woould swoop around and run each other off. This year the most I have seen was 4 and that was early probably about the middle of May. The ones this year seem very shy and fly away if I breathe (at least that's the way it seems) I keep hoping more will come.

• bcfromfl
    16 years ago

I found this thread, as I am a bit concerned myself about the hummers we enjoyed so much last year. We live just north of Panama City, Florida, and had several females and a couple of males. They arrived I think about the end of May or the beginning of June and stayed until October or so, the males leaving first.

This year we've had a couple passers-through on their way further north, but here it is almost July and the permanent ones haven't showed up yet. I'm changing the nectar regularly just in case, but it stays at the same level day after day so I know they're not visiting it.

I hope this isn't a sign of something more serious...

Bruce C.

• lynxville
    16 years ago

I use to have lots and lots of them and starting last year and this year I have very few. Is it possible that Katrina or maybe West Nile Virus reduced the numbers?

• birdsrwonderful
    16 years ago

I have not had any hummers this year either. Last year they were daily constant visitors to the feeder and the flowers.

It is very disappointing!!!

I did read somewhere (maybe on here?) someone speculating that what ever was killing the honey bees off is doing the same to the hummingbirds. What do you guys think about that theory?

• dutchiss
    16 years ago

I HAD Hummers.. I was so happy,, I did a happy dance every day.

*Sigh* for the last couple weeks I've not seen any. I'm even having dreams of how to attract them back!!

I'm continuing to change the nectar and clean the feeders, just in case they make a return appearance, otherwise I have no clue what to do.

Distraught and wringing my hands in frustration in Northern New York.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I haven't seen mine for weeks now. I finally just took the feeders in. We've never had this happen before. I'm wondering if there's something to that honeybee killer stuff.

• yardenman
    16 years ago

My hummers are sticking around and doing well. So hang in there and keep trying.

Best luck.

• kellyville
    14 years ago

arrrg i hate this forum, if you arent signed in before you write it, it doesnt saved your post!! so annoying. anyway. i live in pensacola florida and this is my first year trying. i know now after reading this i started a month too early. a friend mentioned its possible to have birds in your area that chase them away, is that true??

• taz6122
    14 years ago

It might help if you make a new thread instead of bumping one that's 3 years old. I don't know if that's true. I think hummers are too fast to be too worried about other birds. All they would have to do is move to the side and watch the other bird fly past.

• zinnialady
    13 years ago

I'm in AL...finally saw my first little guy just yesterday! It is AUGUST! I immediately put out fresh nectar (again), so maybe he'll keep coming and bring his friends. I have been so sad about it all summer. Hoping they all start coming!

• sharzie1128_aol_com
    12 years ago

Is mid June too late to put out a hummingbird feeder and have birds? I put one out then and change the nectar 3 to 4 times a week. I haven't seen any yet. I never had a feeder before. I have it hanging in the sun next to red begonias. Should I move it to the shade? What am I doing wrong? I haven't given up yet!