Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found A Large Pineapple Sage

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 17:54

I was surprised to find a Pineapple Sage in full bloom. I've had them before, but they didn't bloom until fall. Usually just around the time my hummers fly south. The label says: "Blooms fall to spring".

Will this beautiful plant bloom all summer? There are many buds developing, but I have to wonder if this plant will figure out what season it is.

Of course, maybe this is all irrelevant since I haven't seen a hummingbird yet.

What do you think?

Thanks

Harry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found A Large Pineapple Sage

I had one that bloomed in summer, and it was a big hummingbrid draw. When I tried to replace it, I got the old usual fall bloomer.

I've seen one offered (not sure where, but maybe Select Seeds) that is supposed to bloom in summer. So yes, it could be you lucked into one that blooms earlier. They do exist. I say enjoy it, and be sure to take cuttings in the fall because heaven knows when you'll find another. :)

o

I saw my first hummingbird of the season yesterday. It was dining on the Pineapple Sage.

o

Wonderful, Harry. They do love it. It feels really good to provide them with soething they want.

BTW, I looked up Select Seeds-- they offer a pineapple sage called "Honeymelon" that blooms in summer. That's the one I had.

o

The Pineapple Sage is finally opening up new flowers. Even though the older, and very stringy, stalks are still blooming. I didn't want to prune off the original ones until they were totally spent.

o

In that situation, I would cut off a few-- 1/6 to 1/3 of the old stringy, then when those have sprouted new growth and are blooming, cut off another 1/6 to 1/3, then repeat. This way you can refresh the plant and keep it blooming at the same time.

I'm sure you know these are water hogs-- give lots of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here