Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_nj6

Finally!!!!!!

tracey_nj6
16 years ago

I was outside just putzing around and there she was. She stopped and fluttered to check me out, then took off. Of course I ran inside for the camera, but she preferred the feeder on the north side as opposed to the south side feeder I was closest to. Not my normal greeter though, but still, the perfect pre-Mothers Day gift ;)

Comments (8)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Isn't ut great Tracy? I have had two show up only to leave after a short rest and a little sustenance.

Still waiting on regulars here.

Penny

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Tracey

Way to go girl!! Happy mothers day. I on the other hand , like penny dont have my regulars yet although I have gone two days in a row of seeing missy female RT.

• kristin_williams
    16 years ago

That's wonderful news, Tracey! Also, thank you for posting it in the First Reports versus First sightings thread. It's so much easier on me when I don't have to wade through posts and look at maps. I only wish your returnee was the friendly, inquisitive one.

Mine are sticking around, thank heavens, although I don't see the male as often as the female(s). I was either busy, or away from the house for most of today, so didn't end up seeing one at all today. The nectar levels continue to fall, so I think they're still coming pretty often. Just when I had a chance to watch, late in the day, my deaf neighbors decided to trim the hedges with their God awful noisy clippers. It was just that late time of the day when the hummers come to stoke up for the evening. I didn't see a single one, and no wonder with that terrifying racket. Aaaargh. They are nice neighbors, but I wish I knew sign language for "Knock it off!!!!"

Tomorrow, I hope to continue trying out new and different home made feeders. I have two small feeders out, and when one runs out, I substitute a different one. It's fun to watch them try to figure out and get used to each new one.

Penny, maybe my noise problem will end up being the solution to your hummer problem. With all the noise around here, my hummers may have taken off for western NY. You may be seeing them any day now. Maybe it's quieter at your place.

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!! Of course I'm not sure that she's a regular yet, and I hadn't seen her this morning, but what a thrill just seeing that first one! It never gets old, hehehe. Besides this thrill, 2 weeks ago I was again, dillydallying in the back yard when I heard "the screech" above me in the sky. It was one of the bald eagles nesting about a mile from my house. Just when I thought the hummingbirds were the only birds that could make my day, I get blessed with another...

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure she's a regular; she's been here since Friday and using both feeders, depending on where I am in the garden. She's really enjoying the Lady In Red salvias; I'm soooooo glad I purchased a flat, rather than wait for my wintersown LIR's to bloom; it'll be a while. I also have loads that reseeded, all over the place. It should be hummer heaven this season!

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, she's a regular; been here ever since. Another showed up, but she won't let it get anywhere near the feeder! I haven't a clue as to if it's a male or female; I have yet to see a male though. Very strange...

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

What a cutie! Glad she is a regular. And LOL about purchasing a flat of LIR!!! I bought some blooming plants this year as well after having all these visions of starting some from seed. I figured they would self-sow anyway and I did have some odds and ends LIR seedlings showing up and blooming in various pots last year near the end of the season.

• tracey_nj6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! Yes, the 3 plants I had purchased and put in a windowbox last year had reseeded nicely in the bed, path and pots below it.

Key words "last year".

I can't tell you how much it reseeded since last year. Heck, maybe you already know. The dropped seed obviously loved the cold temps we had, which was expected, but NOT SO MUCH!!! They're EVERYWHERE, in big clumps, tiny seedlings! I'm in sooo much trouble next year, considering I bought more plants this year than I did last year, and last years have reseeded extensively.

Oh, and let's not forget those that I had wintersown...