hummersteve

More rainy day hummers

hummersteve
15 years ago

Female activity has really picked up today,

Comments (10)

• star723
    15 years ago

Well I wish the hummers liked the rain we are having in the Boone County area! I have yet to see them! I think the middle of May is when I see them anyway. But I am thinking all of this cold wet weather is not helping me out any. I just cant wait!

• indygardengal
    15 years ago

I think mine have headed for the hills or woods or wherever little hummingbirds go when it is wet and cold. Haven't seen hide nor hair of one in 2 or 3 days. Hope for sunshine tomorrow.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Hummersteve: It is go great that you have hummers. I live in Zone5B IL and I haven't seen one yet. Big bummer, my hummingbird fever started early last fall when I seen one for the very first time. Went out and bought a couple of feeders and soon had about 20-30 hanging around for about a month.

Why none this Spring? They follow this route because I seen tons of them last fall. I have had my feeders out for about 4 weeks.

Still no real plants though. I do have "Lady in Red" and "Coral Nymph" (4 of each but they are still pretty small. I also have a hanger that is red filled with their favorite nest making material which I purchased at WBU.

• scouterbecky
    15 years ago

lovefornature, what nest making material do you have in your hanger?

• sam_mocotx
    15 years ago

Poor little things.

Sam

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lovefornature--- Its been a cool spring and you will see more later on. Hummers go north from mexico and central america into the states to breed. The males come first and then the females later. The males will try to mate with as many females as he can. so then in june and july is when you will see more once the juvies are about. Then in august the migrations back south is started and that is when you will have a lot of hummers. I also had 20plus in my yard that whole month, then fewer and fewer till they are all gone some time in sept or oct.

• ltlhbgrl
    15 years ago

It's been really rainy and cool here in the St. Louis area. I have noticed this spring and in the past that the little guys get really active when it rains...are my birds crazier than average, or has anyone else noticed increased rainy day activity?

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Hi again Hummersteve: Since the males come first, I am assuming that they are probably already here (maybe not). I have seen absolutely no hummingbirds so can I assume that there is not even one male around to mate with the females that will arrive.

Hope that makes sense :)

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Hi Scouterbecky:

Here is a few pictures of the extra Hummingbird Nesting Material and hanger that I purchased at Wild Birds Unlimited.

Unfortunately, they do not have the material they used in it listed, but I am sure it is stuff that the hummers like.

Hope this helps :)

• scouterbecky
    15 years ago

lovefornature, thanks for the info. Don't u wonder what that stuff is?? I have never seen a nest or figured out where they nest here.

Things are very slow. There are just 2 males and I have seen 1 female, but only occasionally. I would love to see all these "J" loops and whatnot I here tell about. Maybe before long....

Sponsored
More Discussions