Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Hummers love the abelia in our garden.

luxrosa
13 years ago

I was surprised to see so many hummingbirds in our garden, because I live in the middle of a large Metropolis near San Francisco. My landlady planted an abelia that is now c. 12 feet tall and the hummingbirds love it best among all our plants. They also zip-and-sip around the apple tree when it's in bloom. I see an average of 3 to 5 hummingbirds sightings in our back yard every week and last year a pair nested in our Datura plant, such a tiny nest, the size of a thimble. The male challenged me several times when I dared to walk near the nest, zipping close to my face and hovering near my nose as though he'd be willing to punch me, if he could, in order to protect his family.

I consider a sighting of a hummingbird to be an omen of good luck.

Luxrosa

Comments (5)

• GawdinFever
    13 years ago

A hummer in a datura?? (Going to find my seeds!)LOL

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Hmmm, I would like to see a photo of what the abelia looks like in your yard.

So the male buzzed you when you were near the nest huh. Well It has always been my understanding that a male hummer has absolutely nothing to do with the nest or young once he does his part. Maybe someone could enighten me about this if Im wrong.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

I agree Steve. I bet he was protecting his plant.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Well, what difference does it make why he buzzed? It's a pretty exciting event when a hummer gets in your face like that. I got buzzed one time by a hummer when I was wearing a shirt with a big red flower on front. He came over and just kinda hung in the air about a foot in front of me and swayed from side to side looking at the flower.

Ever read birds and blooms magazine? I saw an issue a couple years ago that featured pic of folks who had hummers that would come and take sugar water out of their hands. I'd love to have the leisure time to sit that long by the feeders until the birds no longer feared me. To see them that close would be very interesting. Cheryl

• chescobob
    13 years ago

I have 5 "Abelia, Edward Goucher" and the hummers do visit the flowers and use the plants as a landing pad. The flowers are nice little delicate, bell-types.

It takes them some time to get going in the Spring here in SE PA. There is some dieback that needs to be cut off and, in mild Winters, they are partially evergreen here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Bird, Little Bird

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company
More Discussions