Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ma. any hummer sightings?

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 19:51

I have had my feeders out for a couple of weeks...haven't spotted any yet this season. I will be patient,this is my 4th summer coming up for hummer bliss.

june

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ma. any hummer sightings?

I have hummers , , ,some all year , , ,and have pregnant hummers resting on feeders , , ,don't know where the nests are , , ,have been able to distinguish 3 different pregnant hummers , , ,Anna's , , ,and 1 Black Chin , , ,but, I'm in San Diego area of Cali , , ,good luck, like the movie says "If you build it they will come!" , , ,

o

I have had no sightings yet either, although I have had a couple of feeders up.

I guess we just have to be patient and keep the food in the feeders fresh -

o

My first one appeared in northwestern RI on May 1st. I thought this a little late, but what concerns me is: only one. He is at the back feeder everyday, but never in the front feeder. Last year, I had up to 6 at a time in the front feeder. I hope this doesn't mean all those others died over the winter. I know there is population concerns, but that is dramatic.

o

May 1st was your first sighting....and only one. Wow, I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come this summer for our hummer population. Keep us posted.

June

o

I live in MA and haven't sighted any yet. :( Although I've only seen one since I've lived here. I just got a new feeder and put that outside and some new plants so I'm hoping they will come around eventually.

o

We placed our feeder up 2 weeks ago, sat down on the farmer's porch for a cold one and I no sooner gave my hubbie his drind when there were 2 at the feeder. A male and a female! This year I placed the feeder real close to our chairs, and we can see them up close.
I have seen them every day for the last 2 weeks. I cleaned the feeders I had last year, and put them away--I have no idea where I put them!! Sound like something others do? LOL>

o

Oh yeah, the resident hummer is around. I've seen her several times, but only briefly, and one time was in the neighbor's yard. The majority of my hummer plants haven't started blooming yet, but when they do she and a couple other hummers will be around here frequently.

In May and June, she probably spends more time over at the next door neighbor's yard, where there are tons of earlier blooming hummer plants. They have lots of Columbine, Heuchera, Rhodies, azaleas, and bedding annuals blooming in their yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here