Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cb_garden

where did they go

cb-garden
10 years ago

I had a ton of hummers last year but i have not seen any this year yet. Any one else here in Tennessee having the same problem?

Comments (20)

• kr222
    10 years ago

I'm here near Reading, PA and have the same problem!

• NCgardenmouse
    10 years ago

I'm in North Carolina & have only seen a couple so far- thought they were just being picky but ? I read in Birds & Blooms that it might be a sign that they are nesting but it seems strange to me that there have been so few sightings this year-

• spaceman13
    10 years ago

I'm near Harrisburg PA. I haven't seen any yet. Must be the cold weather.
    I planted some Salvia black and blue, Salvia jewel red and lady in red and hung a new Hummzinger feeder, so I'll be ready when they finally get here!

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally saw one today but i have a big boring bee that seem to have staked a claim to my feeders. He ran the hummer off. Is that normal?

• eric580
    10 years ago

I saw my first one on Mother's Day in Pittsburgh. Bees do chase hummers away. Add bee guards to your feeder or take it down until the bees leave (about a few days).

• ponyexpress_1
    10 years ago

I have seen one hummingbird, once this year. I think it was just passing through. I am having the same problem and I am very concerned. I planted everything under the sun this year to attract them and I am so disappointed they are not around. I am going to contact the Cornell lab of orinthology to find out more. I am seriously worried.

• spaceman13
    10 years ago

I'd really like to hear what the Cornell LOO has to say, Ponyexpress, please keep us posted!

SM13

• NCgardenmouse
    10 years ago

A couple of days ago I posted on my few sightings & just wanted to add that I am seeing more hummers now, but still not in the numbers I've been used to. Crazy weather maybe? I too would like to know what Cornell thinks.

• Egret360
    10 years ago

Isn't it too early to see them? I have seen two so far this year, when do they usually come out in big numbers? This is only my second year trying to attract them, I saw them a lot last year so I am hoping they return this year.

• eric580
    10 years ago

It's not too early to see them, and they appear in large numbers at the end of Summer during their migration. It is my second year too :) My hummers returned don't worry. Yours will too.

• cb-garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had another one show up today..

• kr222
    10 years ago

Had my first show up okay. Usually I see my first in April.

• busy_bee_7tn_grow
    10 years ago

Ours showed up on time- first week of April, but I've only seen a couple. They are here in the area, just seems like not as many as usual. Curious!

• Lori64
    10 years ago

My mom lives in southern Ohio. Every year she has lots of hummers. I kid you not, I have stood at her back window and have counted over 20 at one time. They came in late this year and not as many. But now they are gone! Nothing hitting her feeders or flying around. (was going thru over a quart a day of food) She is so upset and wondering what is going on so I thought I would see if anyone else had the same issue and if anyone knew why??

• jomuir
    10 years ago

could this be one of those whatchamacallit years, when birds head into regions they don't usually appear in and are absent from their normal habitat? We're not seeing much action at all either.

• snooperdazzle
    10 years ago

We had weird weather here,stayed cold cold a long time,then we had a burst of spring,we could tell by the plants blooming early. So I waited to put my feeders up. I live close to Ocala Florida

• snooperdazzle
    10 years ago

We had weird weather here,stayed cold cold a long time,then we had a burst of spring,we could tell by the plants blooming early. So I waited to put my feeders up. I live close to Ocala Florida

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

I have not checked this website lately because I have few hummer sightings this year. I thought it was just my location. I have one occasional hummer feeding at one feeder. I have been watching hummers for 6 years and this is the worse year for me. I had many more last year during the months of May and June. I have Black and Blue Salvia planted, red Culpea, and other blooming plants. I only have 4 feeders up now. Most of my hummer friends have fewer hummers at their feeders this year. Even rainy days do not bring hummers to our feeders.

• annee08
    10 years ago

I live in Hudsonville, Mi. I keep an acre plus of wildlife friendly gardens and hummingbird feeders. Numbers of hummers has been declining and this year - zero. I am concerned that wind "farms" in nearby Holland are killing off migrating birds. Any input?

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

I saw one hummer today feeding at two feeders, for a few sips, at 11:55 am, 2:30 pm, and 4:20 pm. I hope to see more this week. I was not able to take a picture.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!
More Discussions