Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

I swear, my money goes in 1 pocket and out the other, LOL.

I sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay and pumped some of that money right back in. I decided instead of trying to trade for a Coral Honeysuckle vine, I would just buy a few well rooted cuttings from a seller that had a decent deal going and great feedback. Well, I came across another seller and before I knew it I had bought 7 different honeysuckles.........I did check their feedback and they have awsome feedback from their previous honeysuckle sales along with the other nursery plant's they sell. So I feel a little better knowing this, I just don't know where to put all of them.

I bought 1 of each:

LONICERA 'MAGNIFICA'

LONICERA 'ALABAMA CRIMSON'

LONICERA 'DROPMORE SCARLET'

LONICERA 'BLANCHE SANDMAN'

LONICERA 'HARLEQUIN'

LONICERA 'MANDARIN'

LONICERA 'JOHN CLAYTON'

and wouldn't you know, the 1 Honeysuckle I was after I didn't even end up buying :)

I did just order them, so I do have some time before I get them. I have the front porch my hubby built last year, I was thinking I could put 1 on the corner (it's 4' high than the railing's move out 3' in 1 direction and at least 5' in the other torward the front door). Than I have the 4ft high cedar concave fence we had put in last summer. I did have a bunch of Clematis that I had put on it last fall, but I had decided to move them (they are already moved and taken care of). The fence is 50ft long. I was thinking of putting 1 on either side of my yard in the middle of the garden on my 6' high metal corner stand's. I can't put any in the backyard, that is part shade/dappled shade.

So 3 on the fence if it's not too much (don't want to overdo the fence), 1 on the front porch, 2 for the side yards (1 each side), that leaves 1 more I have to find a place for??????

I can control the size of them right? I just lightly prune them when they start to get too big for the area? at least that's what I' m understanding from reading previous post's on honeysuckle.

Thanks

Melissa

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    I just bought a Gold Flame honeysuckle on Ebay to go along with my growing collection too. I planted mine on an arobor in front of my front porch along with a cross vine. yes they can be pruned very easily. I pruned my coral honeysuckle species down to about 3 ft. early this spring so I could replace the trellis that it was originally on. Husky from the upstate NY forum prunes hers every eary to keep it the size that she wants it.

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great. I should have a year or 2 for the roots to get established too I think. I may put the 7th Honeysuckle along with the 1 other on the side that does not have the fence, just need to come up with a support for that 1. I can't wait. I bought them thinking about drawing in more Hummer's.

I wonder if I will get any flowers off of it this year?

Melissa

P.S. You should take cuttings Penny and I can do the same for what you don't have.....Gold Flame was the 1 the seller didn't have.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    Some may bloom this year. My first two that I bought bloomed the first year but they were a little bigger than the one I bought this year. It is easier and more reliable to layer a low lying stem than to actually take cuttings. They may need to grow for a couple of years before doing it though.

Penny

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I'm jealous Melissa! I'm not familiar with a few of those names, so I'm interested to see which ones the hummingbirds like the best and which ones start blooming the earliest in the spring. I have a Dropmore Scarlet that I've had for a couple years and love. Last summer I added a species sempervirens and an Alabama Crimson to put on an arbor.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, in a few years I'm hoping my yard becomes a hummer magnet.

I still haven't decided which 1 I will be putting on my front porch, that's the 1 I will be seeing up close. I might try to stick the extra 7th honeysuckle in front of my porch on a heavy duty tripod instead of putting 2 on the side yard, so I have 2 up front to look at also?

They are being shipped on Monday, so I should have them by the end of next week.

Melissa1977

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Hey Christie have you had any problems with aphids on your honeysuckles this year. Last year it was the species and this year they hit the Dropmore Scarlet.

Penny

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

No aphids on my honeysuckle yet, just my mums.
    Last year I had LOTS of ladybugs and had aphids on a few things around the yard but they seemed to be disappearing without any help from me, then late in the season, I started seeing more aphids and less ladybugs. I don't remember seeing aphids on my honeysuckle though. There were probably some at least. They were worst on my swamp milkweed and it hasn't come back this year.
    I haven't seen any ladybugs yet this year so I may be in trouble. I hope it's just too early.

It doesn't seem to be necessary to get rid of ALL the aphids. Most plants can handle quite a few without suffering much. My swamp milkweed was coated with them though and I was just ignoring it because I assumed the ladybugs would eventually come along and feast. It was hot and dry at the same time and that was hard on it too. Lesson learned. : (