Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
they are finally here!

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 07 at 21:14

at dinner time today we saw our first hummingbird of the season at the feeder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: they are finally here!

Anita---congrats on your first. Heres hoping there not just passing thru.

o

Anita what area of NY are you in? I am between buffalo and Niagara falls, and I am still waiitng

Penny

o

Putnam county, way way south and east of you, just an hour north of NYC, so i'm sure they're on their way to you. Let us know when they arrive!

o

We had our first garden sighting Friday. I'm about 60 mi north of Detroit.

o

Pkguy you should post this on Kristin's thread First reportings vs Actual Sightings. It's a few posts away from this thread. She is keeping track, so it'll make it easier on her!

And Congratulations on your first hummingbird of the year. Are yours Rubythroated?

o

Anita55, I don't think Pkguy saw your post, but I did! I'm scouring the threads for first sightings--just doing a search on the word "first" inside each thread that has recent posts in the past day or so. It's tedious, and you're right, it would be so much easier if people would post their own sightings to the First Sightings thread.

It's going to be quite a bit of work compiling it into something that makes sense. It's been a little weird this year with that very early warmup and then the big freeze in early April. I don't know how typical these results will be, but it will show that people can wait quite a while after the first sightings to see their firsts. I'm hoping it will serve as something we can refer to in the future--So and so waited for 3 weeks, and still got her hummingbirds back. It can be a reality check for everyone worrying about all those dots around them. I kind of wish there were another map that was a first AVERAGE sighting date--just take everyone's first sightings in an area and average them together. That would be a much better predictor of when you'd be likely to see your first.

Anyway, thanks for the note to Pkguy. You tried to get his attention, and I appreciate it. Thanks!

o
Oh, and I almost forgot...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here