Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolaces

plants for zone 5

coolaces
15 years ago

hi all; new here, but have been reading here for about 6 months;i have numerous plant s for hummers but was wondering what others in my zone (5) have found to be hummers favorite?i have seen 4 so far but none have stayed

Comments (7)

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

Right now my Gold Flame Honeysuckle, Lilac, Columbine, Cheddar Pinks,and Clematis are all seeing a lot of action

Janice

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I am a shade warmer than you but I have Coral honeysuckle, Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle, Native eastern columbine, Salvia g. Black & Blue (annual)z5), Salvia c. Lady in Red (annual), Agastache rupestris,
    Salvia azurea, Cardinal Flower, Monarda 'Jacob's Cline', Salvia greggii Stampede series (hardy with protection), Rose of Sharon, Azaleas, Rhododendron, Lilac, Butterfly Bush (some are hardy in z5), Maltese Cross and various other salvias grown as annuals.

Penny

• coolaces
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks janice and penny
    i have about 70% of those plants plus a few others.

• sandy2_gw
    15 years ago

I am in zone 5 also but I manage to keep them coming and have babies. I do put up two feeders. I make 2 cups water and 1/2 sugar boiled and change faithfully every other day in the hot weather. If you don't want stale coffee they don't want stale sugar water. It will make them sick. They do come to the feeders. I have one in the front yard that flies in one direction and one in the back yard that always flies in the opposite direction. They never bother each other until the end of the season when the hummers move south then you'll see them flying back and forth of the house dive bombing each other. They love the crocrosmia perennial. If you would like some of those to get started send me your trade page and we can trade. I plant geraniums, impatience (shade), salvia anything that is red. They also like the trumpet vine, but don't plant that close to the foundation of your house. Red hot poker are great for them also. Hope this helps
    Sandy

• coolaces
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi sandy, thanks for the reply.i have 2 feeders up right now and will put out more when i see them stay around;seems like around the second week of july before they stick around my yard;i have seen a few(maybe the same one) lol, but days go by before i spot it again.i had crocrosmia last year, they were nuts over it, but didnt know they were perenials?mine were bulbs or something?i have trumpet vine or creeper, honey suckle vine petunias, catmint, daylilies. afew sage and salvia plants, lupine,agaustache, miss manners,dianthis, cheddar pink,
    tobacco plants(nicatina), phlox, hummingbird bush, butterfly bussh , weigalia bushes,jacobs ladder, lavender hostas; most of my perrenials are about to open.i,m new here, dont know what MY PAGE IS

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Your My Page has the date you signed up for GW and your birthday. It may also have a little blurb about you, your garden or whatever you want to add. It also has a link to your trade list, journal and clippings. Some people fill it all out others keep it simple.

Penny

• janice__indiana5
    15 years ago

After I took a walk around the garden, I need to add Cardinal Flower, Monarda, Cleome(spider flower) salvia Caradonna, perinnal and black and blue salvia annual, Fushia Billy Green, petunia's, torinia(clown flower), snapdragons, Foxglove, butterfly bush, and hosta.

Janice

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions