Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaboone

Strange in Louisiana

nanaboo
14 years ago

I saw my first hummer March 26, 2009. Two or three have been feeding regularily until May 20th. This is the 4th day without a hummer in sight. The feeders are clean, fresh sugar/water, flowers blooming nearby, even a fucshia in full bloom. I decided to review my journal from last year, and noticed that the hummers were not around during June and July 2008, returned in August and stayed until Oct. 10, 2008. I was amazed to see how active they were during Hurricane Gustav in September. 2008 was my first year to put out feeders. Can anyone from Louisiana give me more information, please?

Nanaboo

Comments (11)

• anita55
    14 years ago

do you think maybe they were migrating north and stopped for some refreshments at your house? That would be my guess. If they stayed with you all summmer we wouldn't get to see them up here in new york!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. That could just be the answer. So, if they return in 6 weeks, like last year, would these be different hummers? I am new at this, and not familiar with migration habits. In the meantime, I will keep my feeders fresh, and keep watching for a sighting.

Nanaboo

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Nanaboo
    Being in Baton Rouge, you are more likely to have hummers during very early spring when migration starts (end of Feb. early March) until early May and then again once fall migration gets underway. You may also be able to attract winter hummers by keeping a feeder or two up during the winter. Our members on my other forum from the NO/Metarie area have their hummer hayday during the fall and winter and plan their gardens for bloomers during that time of the year. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Penny

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoooo - Hooooo,
    My hummer returned this morning. He sipped from the window feeder, and checked out the blooming plants. I hope he stays around. I know this hummer is a male, as I was able to clearly notice his red gorget. My three feeders are all sparkling clean with fresh sugar water.

Nanaboo

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Glad to hear it Nanaboo!

Penny

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yoo - hoo, a hummer returned to feeder #3 today. He stayed a while. What a joy to watch. I hope he invites some friends tomorrow. Most of my friends in Baton Rouge, LA are reporting few hummers this year at their feeders.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We had a very nice rain storm late this afternoon. Soon after, I noticed a couple of hummers at the feeders. My friend, who lives in Lutcher, LA,about 25 miles away, called to say she had 5 hummers feeding after rain today. We were both so excited! I sure hope they stay around.

• ala8south
    14 years ago

Nanaboo....on another forum the hummingbird expert said the reason the hummers get scarce has to do with 2 factors. One is that they are going through nesting (which they do twice in the south) and also what wild plants are available. My hummers were here, then have been seemingly unseen for weeks, and now are just showing up again.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

The newly fledged babies are just now leaving the nesting areas down your way so you should start seeing an increase in activity.

Penny

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Penny . . we had rain today, and several hummers were at the feeders early this morning, occasionally during the day, and busy from 6 pm until 8 pm.
    I definitely have male hummers, but I saw a female feeding today. I have a window feeder, and notice they stay awhile, not as frisky when I move around inside. Sorry to say I lost my Fucshia plant . . . temp. in the high 90's in Baton Rouge lately. The rain was welcome!

Nanaboo

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Nanaboo
    I have been told by several members on my forum that fucshias just can't take the heat and humidity of S. La. Dou you have any cuphea ignea 'David Vertiy' or Cuphea micropetala? those might be a better substitute over the fucshiafor you. Also Dicliptera suberecta (King's Crown) will work well. All three can take the heat and the humidity.

Penny