Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower bed tips

Posted by jay733 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 0:52

I'm growing a flower bed right now but I don't know if I'm over crowding. My flower bed is small, about 3 feet width by 26 feet length. So far I have young plants growing. I have foxgloves lined horizontally in the background I have firecracker, candy corn vine, bat face cuphea, butterfly bush, butterfly weed, flame bush, and salvia. Is there certain amount of space between each plant I should give them? I have one plant of each except the foxglove, which I have lined in the background about a foot a part. What spacing should I consider when planting my other plants? I basically want to have all the plants I've mentioned fill the entire space of the bed with little space separating them to give it a full look but I don't know if this will work, I'm new to this first time making a bed for hummingbirds so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower bed tips

When I first started my flower bed it was about the same size as yours and it was tight quarters with plants growing into one another. Another thing I found this bed is also up against my house and hummers couldnt get to the backside flowers which were mashed against the house. So in following years I improved my planting to where more plants had more room to breathe and were not so close to the house. You learn this with trial and error. And then again some people like their flowers meshed together like this. When you first start like me you really dont know how big certain plants will get or how much they will spread but you will soon learn. No matter what people say you have to learn for yourself. You have to experience it then you will know what to do the following years. And yes, my main flower bed has at least tripled in width, but same length.

o
RE: Flower bed tips

Thanks for the tips, I was just worried about the plants dying if over crowded because of the roots. I plan to cut down plants and have tall plants in the back the low ones in the front so each one is accessible. Might have to expand the width a little as the plants grow though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here