Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckroeg

plants for Hummers Zone 4 hardy, new to hummer gardens

ckroeg
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to hummingbird gardening. I am looking for whatever advice I can get on plants for such a garden. Obviously, hummingbirds aren't all I am gardening for but I would like to incorporate plants that will draw them into my yard.

This is what I have: Apple trees, other trees, veggie/herb garden, soon to be a koi pond, and a small corner area with some hummingbird attracting plants. A trumpet creeper with the large red flowers, two honeysuckles (mandarin and John Clayton). These are the only perenial items, but I do have some annuals in the bed under the feeders (zinnia, salvia, and I think some snap dragons).

Since we now have our first house we are going hog wild with the landscaping of the yard and loving it. We put up a couple bird feeders and a simple hummingbird feeder just to draw a few birds. Then we happened by a wild bird store and started talking to the owner and looking at all the possiblities. Then the ideas started flying of what we could and should put where to bring in the hummingbirds as an added bit or entertainment. Since winter seems to last FOREVER around here you have to make the most out of what spring/summer weather you get.

We bought a couple different booklets on bird gardening and hummingbirds, but of course they aren't super specific to any one zone. Being new at the perennial gardening stuff it gets confusing when you walk into any nursery. So many names and you tend to get carried away more by the looks of things at the time then with the purpose you are seeking. Overwhelming for sure.

What I would like to do is walk into a nursery and look for a few specific plants that I know will or could bring in hummingbirds, without having to read every item to find it.And know that they will survive the harsh Minnesota winter.

Here is what I would like: 2-3 vines I don't have (if there are that many for my area), a few perenial ideas, and an idea of what are the best annuals. the yard will be a mostly sunny location, at least until the trees mature.

The hardest part for me is to pick plants that will give me blooms throughout the spring/summer/fall time. Not one plant blooming that whole time but plants that bloom at different times to spread it out over that time. I am so plant illiterate and the books list so many different varieties but don't give the zones or bloom times. Simple advice for the first time gardener is all I am looking for now.

Any help out there for Zone 4 hardy hummingbirder lover want a be!!!!

Chris

Comments (8)

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Vines - native honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens) perennial - annuals - cypress vine, cardinal climber, mina lobata, scarlet runner bean

perennials - Virginia bluebells (mertensia), native bleeding heart (dicentra sp.), native columbine (aquilegia canadensis), coral bells (heuchera), foxglove penstemon (penstemon digitalis), butterflyweed, monarda, cardinal flower (lobelia cardinalis), blue lobelia (lobelia syphilitica) - in rough order of bloom. Definitely use a cold zone nursery - one to check out is Missouri Wildflower Nursery, z5. I am not swearing that they are all hardy to z4 but definitely z5 and why not push things a bit?

Lilac and buddleia also attract them in some people's yards.

Tithonia and larkspur are great annuals - larkspur self-sows and tithonia might. Salvia coccinea self-sows.

If you want to dig up plants in the fall, hummingbird cannas (with small flowers) and some salvias like Black and Blue are easy to overwinter - the canna tubers go in a bag with peat moss, the salvia goes in a pot - you put them in a cool/cold but frost free place and ignore them until it gets warm.

• irrigationcontractor
    17 years ago

I have good luck with fuscia, bleeding heart, Northern Lights Azelia, lobelia, and they even love my day lilies when they bloom. I don't know if it's that I am one of the only gardeners in my neighborhood or if I'm just lucky, but I get several in my yard.

• ckroeg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well then I could hope to have the same luck since not one of the neighbors yards that I can see have much to talk about as far as gardening or flowers. I did get the fuscia, monarda and a couple more honey suckle. I would love to get the scarlet runner bean but can't seem to find it locally. I guess I may have to look to order it, but that may have to wait until next year.

thanks for all the info.

I look forward to others advice as well.
    Chris

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Try silene regia - royal catchfly - it's a hardy prairie plant, drought tolerant.

• fugawi
    17 years ago

I live in MN, too. Last year I planted Bee Balm, it has long red flowers teat the hummers like, and this year it's grown to about 4 ft already. The flowers are just starting to show now, and they lasted pretty much all summer and fall last year. It doesn't require alot of attention, and you can make mint tea with the leaves to boot :) The birds found it last summer, so I'm looking forward to thier return.

• flutterbug
    17 years ago

I also just moved into a new house and am starting from scratch on my garden. I was also intereted in a hummingbird garden. I think everything I'm naming is hardy to zone 4. This is what I've planted so far:
    *Catawbiense Rhododdendron 'Bourseault' (closest I could find to the species plant, I got mine at Home Depot)
    *Aquilegia canadensis Wild Columbine
    *Campsis radicans Trumpet Creeper
    *Lonicera sempervirens Coral Honeysuckle
    *Aesculus pavia Red Buckeye (It is hardy to zone 4 even though the linked website says 6)
    *Spigelia marilandica Indian Pink
    *Lobelia cardinalis Cardinal Flower
    *Monarda didyma Oswega Tea
    *Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline'
    Lilium michiganense Turk's Cap Lily (more known is *L. canadense)
    Liatris pycnostachya Prairie Blazing Star
    Silene virginica Fiery Campion
    Dicentra eximia Wild Bleeding Heart
    Astilbe 'Larissa'
    Crocosmia Montbretia 'Fire King'
    Phlox paniculata 'Tenor'
    Tricyrtis hirta Toad Lily
    Among others (I don't want to exhaust you!)

The ones with stars are recommended as the top 10 hummingbird plants. The only one I don't have is spotted jewelweed, only because I think it is weedy looking. I see it growing naturally around here. The others are things I liked and read in various websites, catalogs or forums that people found to attract hummingbirds. I try to select species plants because they are thought to have more nectar than hybrids. Although the hybrids I planted, I planted because they are much easier to find! This website along with the link I entered, I found quite helpful.

Copy and paste
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/attract.html

I started a journal on daves garden. If you interested in looking at it let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Ten

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

I'm not in zone 4, but am growing 4 of the top ten. I thought you might want an opinion on their worthiness as hummer plants.

So far this year, I was delighted to see a bird feeding from the Aquilegia canadensis. I liked the fact that it bloomed much longer than the hybrids in mine and other people's gardens.

My Monarda didyma "Gardenview Scarlet," which is just now coming into bloom, is proving to be very attractive to one of the females. It's very cute to watch her methodically circling her way around the flower head, dipping into each flower, and then on to the next.

My rather late-blooming Campsis radicans (var. "flava," I think), was a big hit last year with the females and juveniles, but is only now just starting to develop buds. Watch where you plant it, for it will take over everything. It's also very slow to come into bloom. It may take several years from initial planting to see your first flowers. Once it gets going, though, it can really crank out the blossoms!

Lobelia cardinalis is new for me this year, and hasn't yet bloomed. I am optimistic that it, too, will be a hit.

• flutterbug
    17 years ago

I saw my resident male workin the monarda (didyma 'jacob cline') this morning! That's a first for me seeing him at my flowers. Even though my husband said he's seen him on the red petunias I have in a hanging basket.

Sponsored
More Discussions