Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Hummers

Posted by yardenman z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 1:52

I am so sad. I have had 3-5 hummers every year for about 15 years. This year, 1 male hummer showed up at the usual time for about a week, but I haven't seen him for 3 weeks.

I'm still putting out fresh nectar every few days, but they seem unvisited.

It is going to be a long lonely summer without any hummers around, but I am more worried about what happened to them. I am convinced that they tended to return here each year (because I noticed the ways that some held their feet or tails while feeding). I can't help wondering what happened to them...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Hummers

Yardenman, I understand you sadness, but don't give up. If something happened to the hummers that used to return to your yard, it will take awhile for new ones to find you. Maybe all the strange weather around the country took them to different places. I know I have one hummer this year after having none for 5 years. Good luck. You never know when one will appear.
Hope

o
RE: No Hummers

Oh, I'm sure not going to give up, I enjoy their presence far too much! I will keep putting out fresh nectar every few days until it is time for them to leave. I really want to attract humers again. If something broke the line of hummers who stay here, I will try to attract new ones again and start fresh.

The cedar tree that they have nested it in the past is still here, the butterfly bushes and other flowers that atract them are still here, and the yard is organic (so should be healthy for them).

I think I should probably move the feeders to more obvious places though. My little lineage knew where to find them in the shady places where the nectar stayed freshest, but I need to attract new birds, sadly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here