Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceye_gw

HELP, Baby Hummingbird keeps falling out of nest.

traceye
15 years ago

I just found this forum and I'm hoping that someone can help. We have a nest in the front of our house. There were two hatchlings born 12 days ago. One died two days ago in the nest, it seems it just wasn't developing right, it was half the size of the other one and didn't have many feathers. We left it all alone, made sure the mother humming bird was still coming back to the nest which she was. Then today we found the surviving hatchling on the ground with a hole in the nest and one side of the nest broken. We tried to repair the nest as best as we could by patching the hole and building the side back up, we also removed the dead hatchling, thinking the mother may have been trying to remove it and destroyed the nest in the process. Even after repairing the nest, the surving hatchling keeps falling out of the nest. We put a table below the nest, with a towel and soft pillow to try and break it's fall each time but it seems to be climbing out of the nest. We watched it wiggle it's way up and over the side today. We've seen it hanging from the bottom of the nest and dangling over the side. Is there anything we can do? It seems that this poor thing wants to be out of the nest for some reason and it's health seems to be ailing with each additional fall. Any ideas on what to do? The mother, still keeps coming around, but we haven't noticed her trying to patch up the nest. I'm concerned because there is still over a week until this bird should be able to fly on it's own but we've replaced it into it's nest about 7 or 8 times already today. Any ideas????? We've been watching the nest for about 30 days and I feel so invested now, I hate so see this poor bird not survive.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH
More Discussions