Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanted butterfly bush

Posted by michele_1 MS 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 2:18

I've got a butterfly / bird shade bog garden and a sun bog garden in the west side of the house. I moved my butterfly bushes to the west garden late last fall.

Well, the spot I put them in used to be sunny. With all the fertilizing and watering since I've lived here, the trees in the woods are putting out more limbs, leaves, and shade. This spring the butterfly bushes are in part-shade.

They weren't doing much at all, so I decided to risk it: Transplant at the wrong time of year when it's hot and dry.
I did a great job amending the soil and planting them, lots of mulch. These bushes are close to the house where I'll keep an eye on them. Give them lots of water daily for a while.

What are my chances that these bushes will make it? What are my chances that they'll bloom nicely for me??!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanted butterfly bush

If you trimmed them back to a small size and provide some shade for them for the next few weeks they may just make it. Try rooting a few cuttings in case you lose the bushes. I use Clonex and have had relatively good success with buddleas. I also consistently dead-head my buddleas and am rewarded with larger fragrant blooms. Mine get only about 3-4 hrs of sun, the rest is high shifting shade. My hummers go to it, but really grow these for the butterfly's. Hope was a help. Jae

o

They may lose all their leaves, but if you keep them watered, they will eventually bounce back. We transplanted some earlier this year, on an especially hot day. They looked wilted for awhile, lost most of their leaves, but are now doing fine. They may not bloom a lot this year.

o

Hi Michele_l,

Butterfly Bush is super easy to grow from cuttings. I put information on how to do it on "My Page". I must have ten of those around the backyard now, most are from cuttings.

-Joe

o

Butterfly bushes are very vigorous. Tranplants and cuttings should make it. I've moved volunteers around a few times and they do fine. I rooted 2 from cuttings (hey, free plants).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here