Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sevenwndrs

Please Help: Neglected Hummingbird Eggs

sevenwndrs
14 years ago

Greetings Hummingbird Lovers ~

I have been back and forth to and from my laptop all night with no sleep, looking for a website that could possibly help me. I found a bird forum at around midnight, and posted there, but I cam across this website that seems it may be a bit more helpful for my situation. I truly hope so. So because I am so very tired and seeing double of everything, I figure it would be best to copy and paste what I wrote earlier. This way, I am not spamming you with a bunch of typo's. Also, I want to thank anyone eho decides to read this and possibly offer any advice. I know this thread is long. I just wanted to be specific so as to not leave anything out. Thank you so much for your time.

(Midnight)

Let me start by asking everyone to please forgive me. I feel horrible. I will explain from the beginning. We have a very large, beautiful tree in our front yard. The branches spread out into the street on the front side, and onto our patio near the fron door. About a week ago, I noticed what I thought was a baby hummingird. She was so tiny. And everytime I stepped outside, she would fly right up to me, just zipping around. I fell in love immediately. I found it so funny that she would come so close. So I did a bit of research and learned that of all wild birds, hummingbirdsare in fact the least afraid of humans. So I figured she was just trying to make a friend of me. But then I thought, wait ... that is silly. This is a tiny little bird who is hanging around a tree that has no blossums of any kind for her to nip in. So I took a look around, which took all of about 15 seconds when I saw this itty, bitty, tiny, web like nest. I did not want to harm or contaminate it, so I gently pulled the branch down from the other end (the nest was on the very tip end of the branch), to make sure it was hers, and sure enough there were 2 baby eggs. So I gently let it back up, and she sat back down on her babies. So everyday I came outside and would whistle to her. She would fly around me, land sometimes, and while she was being cautious, I know she was not freaking out. It almost seemed that she began to expect me. So I purchased a hummingbird feeder and filled it with nectar. I was concerned however because she built her nest as close to my patio as possible, plus she built it at the very tip of the branch that blows real hard in the wind ~ day and night but moreso in the evening. Well, here comes the mistake.

I told my 7 tear old son about her and he was very excited. He knows not to touch or anything like that. The problem is, everytime he saw me go outside to check on her, he would chase after me. And of course anytime there is ANY comotion, she jumps out of her nest and flutters around. Well this evening, I stepped outside, and my son had just had desert and was in a hyper mood. My cat had heard me whistiling by the way, and had come out front to see if I had treats for her. So me and my cat were already there, and then all of the sudden my son bursts out the door screaming "Let me see, let me see, let me see!!!". Oh it was horrible. She jumped out of the nest so fast the the entire branch shook so hard. That is not the worst of it. She flew onto my patio in a panic and was flying so fast and hard, up and down, that she was slamming into the patio ceiling. It was awful. And I knew in that moment that something would change. That was nearly 5 hours ago and she has not been seen since. You must understand that in a week, she has NEVER been gone. She was ALWAYS in that tree. I even wondered how she found food because she was either in the nest, or fluttering around the tree during the day. So I was all upset, and my husband tried to assure me that she was fine ~ that she was just frightened and she was probably watching her nest from a safe distance high up in the tree. But I do not believe it. I have gone out there every hour checking. She isnt there. She wont even come when I get near the nest or whistle. She always came to both. I feel so awful that it is literally making me ill to my stomach. And I KNOW that the wildlife treaty says to leave the eggs alone but I just CANT. If she does not come back, I want to give them a chance. I read how very hard, and sleepless caring for eggs can be. I do not care. It is worth it because it is all my fault. I will keep them in my room and use my alarm clock to keep them fed every hour. But I do not know how to care for the eggs. I know most folks will more than likely respond, telling me to just let them be. But please also know that it is not in my nature to do nothing. I am an animal lover who has basically, carelessly killed these babies by wanting to look at the mommy ~ and allwoing my son to chase after me. So I pray someone gives me advice that will possibly keep these birds alive. Look, where I live, people HATE pigeons, and spend a lot of time and money on poisoning them, trapping them, and the like. They frustrate me too. They eat all of my cat food. But they are God's creatures and that is good enough for me. Once, a stumbling, poisoned one walked into the street and tried to fly when my car was upon it. It flew up just high enough to fall back down on the hood of my car. I was new in town, and spent an hour trying to find an animal hospital. Once I got there, I was laughed at and made fun of by the staff who went on to tell me that if they tried to help the bird, there were no guarentee's as it had been poisoned and would most likely die. So they said the most they could do was to help it die comfortably, either quickly, or slowly with medication. I chose the latter, and paid $400 for it and it still died ~ and that killed me. So as you can imagine, a sweet, tiny, fragile mommy hummingbird is sending my guilt out the roof. I have to do something.

Last question ~ as I mentioned she has been gone for hours. And while I have not seen this behavior before ~ does anyone think it is at all possible that she is just so freaked that she is chilling at the top of the tree for awhile ~ but that by morning she might come back? Do birds ever come back? Does anyone think there is still a chance? Online it says that the babies need constant heat from the mommy tush for 14 days. :(

Ugh ~ this is just awful!

(Now)

It is 3:30AM and she is not back to her nest. I feel like I am dying. I do not know why this is hurting me so bad. The kids and I were just so excited, and I am just hurting so bad that it is making me so sick. I would give anything to make it right. We have not touched her or the nest or the babies. Did she just think it was too risky? Will she have babies again? Can I give these babies a fighting chance? How do I assure 100 degrees temp and humidity in my home?!! I would do anything to bring them into this world. But they have not had her sit on them for hours. Is it too late? Is it still possible she will come back? You know they say that there are those 5 stages of death (with a loved one), and I swear to you I have gone through them all in the last 8 hours. I was in denial, teling myself she would come back over and over, then I was angry, and blamed myself hard, then I found myself bargaining (with God), and now I am in the depression stage, and wanting so bad to be already in the "acceptance" stage. Of course I know how silly that sounds out loud. I am just so busy all of the time. I work hard and I am so busy with family, the kids, work, etc. This was something SO amazing. I mean ... hummingbirds!! In Vegas! In my yard ... on my patio!! I filmed her. And like I said above, we were logging everything we saw. But maybe all of that time, we were stressing her out and I did not realize it. And when it got real loud and she banged against the wall ... I guess it was too much for her. I know you all think I am a nut. I am just so tired, and I am venting. And I thought ... no better place than on a bird forum to vent about it ... and maybe get some advice. Is it possible the mother will come back? Will I make it worse? I will keep praying. Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to read and possibly offer some advice.

Thank you for your time everyone. I cherish your thoughts and answers!

Blessings from Las Vegas!

~ Heather

Comments (12)

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Heather - I feel so sorry for you, and your Hummingbird mom. It is unlikely she will come back to her nest now, especially if she has been gone all night. The eggs probably could not be saved.
    A nest is much more easily abandoned with eggs than with chicks, but even with hatched chicks---you must be careful NOT to disturb the mama. Even when a bird seems to allow your presence, you must be super careful and not intrude.
    If she was terrorized as you seem to indicate--you may not even see her anywhere around that tree again.
    Please just consider it a lesson heartbrokenly learned. You need to have a good cry and move on. Use this as a profound teaching moment with your son.
    Vicki

• karmagzrnd00_aol_com
    12 years ago

Heather,

It's been 2 yrs. since you posted so I doubt you'll read this but my heart breaks for you as I would feel exactly the same. I recently moved here and did not have hummingbirds anywhere near the number that are here versus where I lived before. I have only two feeders out and have purchased two plants in hoping to attract as many as possible. After a month, I have 5 that return on a regular basis. If it's any consolation to you after all this time, your post has taught me to leave well enough alone and just enjoy their antics and acrobatics. There is one in particular that comes and sits very close to me when I'm outside and, of course, I'm always wanting to be closer and it actually landed briefly on my pinkie finger; however, because of your post, I think I"ll leave well enough alone, so thank you for that.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Also if you do come and read these replies remember that mother birds know instinctively if the eggs are viable or not . I had the same thing happen here with robins. Its life and nothing to worry about and nothing that you can do. I hope this helps.

Steve

• lorrainemejia
    9 years ago

Just read your post and i can't stop crying. I have a nest on my porch my family is very busy and run in and out that porch door day and night. My hummingbird mama has been gone for a long time. After doing research all day. There is nothing I can do for my tiny egg, but I'm extremely sad

• Robbie-Ann Oliveira
    7 years ago

I sit here crying now as well as my mommy hummingbird has just abandoned her nest an hour ago because of my RUDE DOWN STAIRS NEIGHBORS barbecuing TOO FEED THEIR FAT FACES AND SMOKE ME OUT Well they smoked her out and she flew away and didn't come back . I' have asked them to move their barbecue but no , normally they do it while it's day light so she comes back but now at 10 pm NO CHANCE IN HELL, and im

devistated .

Two baby eggs and it was my first hummingbird nest in 9 years here .

Now living above these idiots that fill my house with smoke almost daily , now killed two babies and liked my heart ❤️

i am just torn up over this as a real animal lover too .

i know how all of you feel when everyday I would get up to SE sweet mommy sitting on her next two get from me and how excited I was to have babies of my own to see but in fear their smile would kill them .

well I won' forget this .

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My turn!

I discovered the nest with eggs about 10 days ago. Observed from what I considered a distance since. She would generally fly off if I came outside, which I avoided doing more than necessary.

March 12th.

This morning I panicked when it took several moments to see mom sitting on her nest, looking resolute, hanging in the torrential rain. She seemed a bit higher, WTH more of her body showing, and she did not fly away when I came outside.

And then....I come home this evening, watching and waiting, and no momma bird returning to the nest. .

I watched for what seemed like eternity for her to return, to no avail. Then I took a picture and can see there are no eggs in the nest.

March 21 st.

I've read everything, including that after hatching, the babes stick around a few weeks, so I'm thinking there is no way they hatched and flew away today.

What might have happened?

• Mary Muña
    7 years ago

Squirrels?

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

Over the years I've seen many hummingbird nests in my yard. The most heartbreaking loss was a nest built far too early and we found the mother bird dead on the ground after a cold night.

Have had crows watching me and birds flying around then I see the nest destroyed. If you see a crow around do not check bird nests!

• jordyn fb
    6 years ago

OMG I am at fault for little babies that i just found in our low lying baby olive tree. I thought the nest at first was a wasps nest but as I got closer it didnt look like a wasps nest. Like a few in here I very gently pulled the branch to look inside and two little eggs were in there. She landed back in the nest when I got in my car and all looked well. When i got home I notices the nest looked like it had tipped sideways and she was hovering and I was thinking what the hell happened and it hit me I may have loosened it when I pulled the branch to investigate and worse the winds picked up really bad the last 24 hours. I saw her flying madly trying to get to it. Seems I epicly failed in trying to secure the branch to "adjust it which helped keep her and babies hidden. she kept flying to the nest but I havent seen her. I left a camera to watch for her and will check the footage; but after reading everything I think i just killed two little creatures due to my own stupidity. I feel horrible. This would have been the first set of humming bird babies I have ever seen and the second nest in my life time I have ever found on my property. I am so sorry for this I really didn't mean to hurt anyone let alone a tiny little bird and her nest. :(

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Please don't lose sleep ( like I did). Circle of life and all that.

• jordyn fb
    6 years ago

Thanks I wont but I still feel bad; I really meant no harm

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions