Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

Lurker with a ID question

chocolateis2b8
16 years ago

Hi all, been lurking here soaking up all the info you guys have to give. You guys are great, I've learned to keep the water changed and clean and all that good stuff.

For my background, I have always had a few hummers because I do a lot of gardening and have always had plants that attract them. But this year due to a series of unfortunate events that I won't bore you with, I either lose or wasn't able to plant those plants, so decided to try a couple feeders and they seem to be working. Don't have a lot of hummers visit, but I know of at least 4 different ones, might be more that I don't see visiting. I have a feeling that in the coming years I'll get more once they find out there is enough food other than natural food to hold a bigger population.

Up to this point all I have seen are females, I must have a few nest somewhere, I only have 4 acres, but live in a rural area, so I can see having several nest close by. Those have all been the pretty shinny green color with no color on the neck, which is why I assume they are females, please correct me if I am wrong. But this week I've noticed my first male and he's the one I would like id'd because not only is he the first of his kind I have ever seen, but also he's the first that is friendly enough not to fly away if I get close, I sit out on my deck close to the feeder and talk to him, lol. He has a black throat with a white band across it. I'm sure more than one of you guys will know what he is.

Thanks in advance for the help and any addition info you feel I should know to attract more hummers, I'm really starting to like these little beauties, maybe even more than my house wrens and those are next to pets, lol.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions