Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cardinal climber/Cyprus vine?? HELP!!!!

Posted by lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 8:36

Good Morning everyone!!

We have recently planted cardinal vine fo the Hummers in one of our large pots by our trellis, it is growing GREAT however no flowers lots of buds no flowers. I recently read after we had planted everything if the soil is too rich it will be all vine and no flowers. We also planted black eyed susan vine and the flowers are looking great, just waiting for the cardinal vine to bloom.

Does anyone have any ideas, the soil is rich that is in the pot.

Thanks Lary & Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cardinal climber/Cyprus vine?? HELP!!!!

Hi,

It is probably too early for blooms in your location;mine bloom in July. Suggest you use these guidelines:

"Plants like a lot of water and nutrients. While they like lots of water, they do not like wet soil. Keep soil moist, not wet. Add fertilizer when planting and every month during the season. Use a high phosphorous formula just before the first blooming period."

Phosphorous is the second number in the listing:10-20-10.However,you don't really want or need the first number (nitrogen),so look for formulas like this:
0-8-4

" Prefers slightly alkaline to very acid soils. WATER: Cypress Vine does not like to dry out. Water frequently if there is not enough natural moisture. "

"Liming is the usual way to correct extreme acidity, or to make the soil "sweeter." The safest material to use for this is ground-up limestone rock, called agricultural lime. However, hydrated lime can be used. On a light soil, 50 pounds of ground limestone per 1,000 square feet should raise the pH about one unit, as from 5 to 6, but 75 to 100 pounds might be needed on a heavier soil for the same effect. It is best to take a pH test in order to determine whether liming is needed or not."

OR,you can just wait for the flowers to come in July ;)
Good luck.

o

It is too early for cypress vine or cardinal climber to bloom. They bloom later in the summer.

Penny

o

Ya, I'm growing cardinal climber too but I wasn't expecting blooms till August and early September in my zone.

Barb
southern ON, CANADA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here