Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie here

Posted by Rick-and-Carol 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 11:03

Just moved to a rural area and put out a feeder. One of those copper ones from the big box store. For a month there was no activity, so Friday i bought another one, but this one had lots of red on it. Within two days they were swarming all around it.
My wife was so happy, she has had hummers at previous residences so we thought we would try at our new home.
Anyway, to make a long story short i was not a believer that the "red" made any difference but i have been converted.
All red feeders from now on. In fact last night painted the copper one red.
I look forward to learning more about hummers on this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie here

Hi Noob. Congrats on your new feathered friends, and Welcome! Welcome!

I heard the hummers don't like the shiny ones as well. I recon the bright reflections scare them, or they can't see as well to spot preditors and such. I don't know for certain, I only had one I picked up at half price, and broke it 3 days later trying to whack a wood bee with a badminton raquet. That bugger was hell bent on chasing me off, and boring holes in my house!

They find nectar primarily by sight, and plants with bright reds, oranges and yellows are generally screaming "Free Food" (in exchange for pollination, if you read the fine print)

Lots of fine, knowledgeable people here will steer you right.
SM13

o
RE: Newbie here

Thanks spaceman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here