Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Native Honeysuckle Vine...Have ???'s

Posted by lovefornature 5B IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 11:08

Good Morning Everyone :)

I have ordered my very first native Honeysuckle Vine (it is scheduled to be delivered June 16th). It is a John Clayton.

I have some question.

I purchased a 6 ft. tall x 5 ft. wide trellis. Will this be enough support for the honeysuckle.

Also about pruning. I am in Zone 5B. Do I prune this back in the fall (after frost or before) and if so, how far do I prune it down.

I could buy another trellis for next to the one I already purchased but I cannot go any taller in feet.

Please help a newbie out to honeysuckle.

Thanks in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Native Honeysuckle Vine...Have ???'s

Congrats on your purchase of an excellent honeysuckle. Your hummingbirds will be very pleased!

Native honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens) is not a rampant vine and your trellis size will be fine. Try to place your vine in full sun with good air circulation to avoid mildew problems. On pruning, you should prune this vine sparingly - in early spring remove dead wood and take off a bit of excess growth if your vine begins to outgrow your trellis. Do not give this vine a hard pruning as this will eliminate most of the season's flowering. Keep a close eye open for aphids on this vine as they can hinder new growth. Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here