Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Suicidal Honeybees?!

Posted by micrazy 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 11:35

Hi! I am new to posting...I usually peruse the garden forums, but I'm having a strange thing happen in my hummer feeding stations. They are LOADED with honeybees, and they aren't just drinking, they are squeezing themselves thru the openings and drowning. They all seem to be on a suicide mission. Have I done something wrong this year? They also seem quite agitated with my presence, and will come after me if I get too close.
Is this a normal thing? I've had feeders for 20 years, and I've never seen this before.
I just wondered if the disappearance of honeybees have anything to do with this preoccupation with death?
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Suicidal Honeybees?!

I was told last year by some bee keepers that the honeybees are going after feeders more in part because there are not enough species plants anymore. Many of the plants that are mainly pollinated by bees have been hybridized to the extent that many do not contain enough or any nectar. The plant breeders are breeding for flower color and size to provide new and more unusual plants for gardeners even at the risk upsetting the natural environment. Also if they seem more aggressive they may not be native bees. They may be imports.

Penny

o

Thanks Penny, I wondered because I've never in 20 years had this problem before, and now all of a sudden they are just lining up to be the next ones to climb in there and die.
My feeders were never a problem till now. I also noticed that they don't seem to look like honeybees as much as maybe hornets?
It all makes sense now.

o

So should not plant hybrid varieties of flowers right? Does heirloom means not hybrid then ?
I would rather buy plastic flowers for sake of beauty if it is not really helpful to bees,butterflies and birds then water and spend time in such hybrid flowers.

o

I had some hb's swarming to a feeder in November one year. Someone told me to try and place a pan lined with pebbles/rocks and put a shallow layer of sugar water, as so they wouldn't drown. I did, but naturally didn't see any honeybees after that initial swarm.

As for hybrids, I'm trying to stay away from them, especially when it comes to echinacea. They're unreliable perennials and can't compare to the faithful whites and purples, which the bees & butterfllies adore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here