Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timman_gw

Locating nest

TimMan
12 years ago

I am new to the forum, this being my first post. I am a Curator at a Science Museum and we recently put together a "Hummingbird/Butterfly" veiwing area. We have six hummingbirds at our two nectar feeders and now I am mainly seeing females. My intent is to locate a nest where I can install a camera to view the activity via a monitor within the museum.

Are hummingbird nests that you can purchase a good investment and if so, where is the best place to mount the nest?

Comments (9)

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I have never heard of such, but I don't think a hummer would nest in a ready built nest. Where is this museum that I might visit? I am close to El Dorado. On one of these blogs recently there was a post that said to watch where the female goes when leaving the feeder. Two ladies said they did this and walked right to the nest. I have an oak that I suspect has nest or nests, but I have looked and can not see a nest (just lots of birds going to that tree). Lots of luck.

• TimMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul, thanks for the reply. Our museum is the Mid-America Science Museum in Hot Springs. I have tried to watch the females as they leave the feeders but so far have been unable to see where they go to locate a nest. Following is a link to "Duncraft" which sells the hummingbird nests as well as many other birding products.

http://www.duncraft.com/index/page/search?FullText=hummingbird+nests

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

You might be able to attract some nesters to branches attached to the underside of arbors and eaves. Hummers like windless areas, such as in dense foliage (orange trees and oleanders) or deep inside a big tree.

A branch with some forks and some fake leaves to act as shade and camouflage might do it

The nests are amazingly difficult to see - we had one built in a set of deer antlers hanging on our patio and no one saw it until the babies were bulging out of the top.

• eigdeh
    12 years ago

Howdy!

The link that you provided might be a little misleading. The photo that is shown is of a bracket that had a hummer build her nest on it, the nest is not included. What you get is a Y shaped metal bracket with a small piece of cotton attached at the crotch to help attract a hummer to build her nest there.

Anyways, depending on where you live some hummers are already done building their nests for this year. That is the case with the Ruby Throats here in the North East. There might be nests with babies that have not fledged yet, but the nests were built weeks ago. Some species are better at using that bracket than others too. I would think chances are small to get a hummer to build on it, but you might get lucky.

There are a few webcams out there showing active hummer nests. Perhaps you could get permission from them to stream the video to your museum..

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I would go as far into the woods as you could follow a female and place another feeder at that location. Maybe she would spot that feeder to use and you could follow her some more. Might be time consuming. I have a tree 50 feet from my feeders with lots of hummers going to it, but can not find a nest. It is a very dense oak. I have been doing this for over 25 years and never seen a nest in a tree except on TV. Of course I have not looked. Been to Mid America several times. It is a great place and have brought out of state relatives there more than once. They loved it also.

• TimMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate all the responses. Does anyone know, here in south central Arkansas, approximately when the first clutch is layed by the female. Do you think they already would be starting on their second clutch?

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I'm sort of ashamed that I do not know that answer, but I think it might be getting a little late. The males will soon be going south in July; of course the females will be a week or two behind. I also am curious and will try to find out.

• TimMan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul, do you know if the hummingbird nestlings that go on to fledge, stay around with the adults and use the nectar feeders or do the adults drive them away from the site?

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I am sure I have been told that the mother will bring them to the feeders for a day or two and then they are on their own. They will compeat for the flowers or feeders then.

Sponsored
More Discussions