Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timjc

Hummingbird feeding times

timjc
13 years ago

What time of day do hummingbirds generally look for nectar? Is it early morning, late evening or throughout the day. I haven't seen any sign of activity yet.

Comments (17)

• daislander
    13 years ago

an hour after dawn and at dusk here west coast bc

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I see mine occasionally after I get home from work at 5:30 and while I'm out watering, but the heaviest activitiy by one imparticular male is definitely dusk, between 8:30-8:50. I peek out my windows from 7am thru 8am but never see them. Dusk has always been the best time for me to see more activity.

• opal52
    13 years ago

Currently, we see them most frequently early morning just after daybreak, and at dusk. They visit feeders throughout the day as well but seem to spend lots of time resting in trees, perhaps tending nests. I don't know where you are in zone 7. The busy activity (highest number of birds) in our area usually starts in August.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Early morning and at twilight. Go outside with your coffee just after dawn is best in that first hour I would say between 6 and 7. In the evening my best times are 8:30-9:30

• donald lucius
    13 years ago

i don't have many hummers this year? a few show up at sunup and a few after sunset but only an occasional one during the day

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

The way I understand they have to feed first thing in the morning after coming out of torpor[a condition they go into to survive the night] and then of course thruout the day. Then the next important feeding time is just before they quit for the day. They usually will spend a good bit of time at a feeder just before dark filling that tank for the long night ahead.

• HU-808281403
    5 years ago

What is the usual time in the evening they stop feeding I live in MI and it is usually dark here about 930 pm Would that be about there time to stop

• HU-43413997473
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have three hummingbird feeder’s in my backyard and I see a hummingbird every once in a while during the day why am I not getting more hummingbirds

• HU-43413997473
    5 years ago

What month is best to see hummingbirds I have a huge flower garden with yellow red and pink’s I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

It depends on what months the migrations in your area occurs. Where I live, hummers are year round residents and I see them every month...even in the middle of winter :-)

But I never get large swarms. Generally just 2-3 birds at any given time. But they visit frequently so usually someone is at the feeder or will be very soon. But I also notice the heaviest activity is early morning and at dusk (not dark - they are roosting then).

• mblan13
    5 years ago

Dawn & dusk are good times, but you can see them anytime. Right now the ruby throated hummingbirds are on the nest with eggs/chicks. In early July when they fledge, they will hand around the yard most of the time. This may differ in your area.

• PNW-Transplant
    5 years ago

The lady I bought my feeder from said they will use the feeder more during the summer months. There tons of spring flowers in this area now, so they don't need to use a feeder as much. I see them reliably at dusk though.

• gyr_falcon
    5 years ago

When nesting, a larger proportion of their diet consists of insects. So those birds will be visiting the feeders and flowers less often. But when the young fledge, the female will often begin to bring them to the feeders.

• David Spurlock
    5 years ago

We see them coming and going all day long. We have 8 feeders and have to refill them about once every 7-10 days to keep them fed.

• mblan13
    5 years ago

David, you might want to clean refill every 2-3 days. In 7 days (especially in warmer weather) the sugar water will have started to grow mold and other pathogens that could harm the hummingbirds.

• David Spurlock
    5 years ago

So far, mold hasn't been a problem considering how fast the little buggers are gobbling the nectar up.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County
More Discussions