Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird feeding times

Posted by timjc 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 12:04

What time of day do hummingbirds generally look for nectar? Is it early morning, late evening or throughout the day. I haven't seen any sign of activity yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird feeding times

an hour after dawn and at dusk here west coast bc

o

I see mine occasionally after I get home from work at 5:30 and while I'm out watering, but the heaviest activitiy by one imparticular male is definitely dusk, between 8:30-8:50. I peek out my windows from 7am thru 8am but never see them. Dusk has always been the best time for me to see more activity.

o

Currently, we see them most frequently early morning just after daybreak, and at dusk. They visit feeders throughout the day as well but seem to spend lots of time resting in trees, perhaps tending nests. I don't know where you are in zone 7. The busy activity (highest number of birds) in our area usually starts in August.

o

Early morning and at twilight. Go outside with your coffee just after dawn is best in that first hour I would say between 6 and 7. In the evening my best times are 8:30-9:30

o

i don't have many hummers this year? a few show up at sunup and a few after sunset but only an occasional one during the day

o

The way I understand they have to feed first thing in the morning after coming out of torpor[a condition they go into to survive the night] and then of course thruout the day. Then the next important feeding time is just before they quit for the day. They usually will spend a good bit of time at a feeder just before dark filling that tank for the long night ahead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here