Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolrstark

unknown bird

carolrstark
15 years ago

I seen a pretty bright yellow breasted bird with a black forehead at my humming bird feeder. It's beak was able to go down the yellow blossom on the feeder. but he didn't seem to care for what he found. :) would anyone know what kind of bird it is.

Comments (8)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Sounds like an oriole. They like nectar, too. There are secial feeders for orioles. They like a lesser ratio of sugar to water in their feeders. You could put orange halves out for them, or some jelly. They like those.

Lorna

• carolrstark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your info. That little bird has been on my mind ever since he stopped by. I moved here to the country about three months ago and my love of birds is growing every time I see one that is new to me.
    God bless
    Carol

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

You are welcome, Carol. I read on another forum that while orioles are nectar lovers, it seems that perhaps they switch to feeding on insects when they have nestlings. I saw an oriole snag a moth this morning, in the twilight before the sun came up.

We have a bit in common. I moved to the country five years ago. It is a learning experience for a city gal to become a country gal! :-)

Lorna

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

From your description, I was thinking of goldfinch or chat, rather than oriole.

I consider orioles large, rather than small; and more orange than yellow.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Hey, Joe, orioles here in central New Mexico have yellow breasts. I have seen photos of orange breasted orioles. I'm not sure which part of the US the orange beasted orioles inhabit. I don't know what a chat is. I know that orioles go to nectar feeders.

Lorna

• carolrstark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well being new to this bird watching I looked up Orioles and found a site where I was able to listen to one sing. They had their little song with a chatter afterwards. Going to this site paid off this morning because I was in my bedroom and two oriole came up to my window where a humming bird feeder hangs. The one perch where I had a very good look at it. Plus I heard them sing and chatter as they flew away from my window. As I'm looking I can see them flying around in they yard. Now seeing them I still am unsure about this other bird. It had such a long beak and the colors were so difference from the Orioles. My sister said maybe it's some kind of a woodpecker or maybe it was too early in the morning and my eyes were playing tricks on me. I'm a 61 year old diabetic and sometimes my eyes don't focus like I like them to. :) But I seen my first oriole so if I never figure out the other bird I can live with that..lol..
    God bless

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Somebody on the Birdwatching Forum put up photos of a Downey woodpecker sipping nectar at a hummingbird feeder. That really surprised me to see that!

It is a big thrill to be able to identify unfamiliar birds. I'm glad you scored with the orioles, Carol.

Lorna

• carolrstark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I seen my unknown bird this afternoon and it was clear enough to tell it was a male Baltimore Oriole. I was able to watch him as he darted from branch to branch. Boy they don't set long enough for a person to get a good picture. But that's alright..my mystery is over. looking at him I don't know how I though it was yellow...lol..I want to thank all who helped me put a name with this little guy.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions