Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Bees, Hummer nests and Citronella Q's

Posted by spaceman13 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:10

In hopes of having hummingbirds nest in or near my yard, I'm adding more Spring blooming plants in my garden beds, hanging baskets and containers. I also plan to put my feeder out earlier, when the hummers are migrating in. Herein lies my problem…Wood Bees!

The neighbors storage building has many areas that attract them, and they're always buzzing about my property, swooping and chasing one another, and anything else that gets near them!
They are generally gone, or done with their territorial mating aggressiveness by the time my summer bloomers start flowering, so they were previously little more than an annoyance. I'm certain they would chase hummingbirds, making the area unatractive as a nesting site.

I read citronella oil will deter them, but will it also deter hummingbirds from setting up residence as well?
Any personal experience or insight with hummers and citronella would be greatly appreciated.

Genus: Mark Blanchardii
Cultivar: 'SpaceMan'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Bees, Hummer nests and Citronella Q's

We get carpenter bees as well. Loads of them. But I never saw them going after the hummers. I have my feeders under my back patio and the carpenter bees are usually in that same area. Hummers can be pretty aggressive so I wouldn't worry about it.

When I spot the carpenters nest I spray right into the holes and then immediately plug it up.

Also, keeping regular bird feeders full attracts other birds that like to feed on the carpenter bees. They don't get all of them but I've seen quite a few dead on my walk way. They also kill their mate once they've mated so that could be why I see the dead ones on the walk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here