Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummerfan

Fewer Hummers This Year?

hummerfan
12 years ago

Hi - I live in Nashville, TN, and this is my 2nd season to be feeding hummingbirds. It seems to me there are fewer at this time than last year. Is anyone else noticing fewer than you normally see at this time? I'm so hoping they weren't killed in all the storms and tornadoes. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I don't think I am having fewer birds this year. The high heat has seemed to lower the numbers during the day, but I counted 10 birds earlier on my 8 feeders in the shade here in south Arkansas (none in the sun). I need to make a daily journal each year, but I just document about once a week on my monthly calendar. Everyone northeast of me has complained of fewer birds. We are in a terrible drought here now. Our grass would be completely dead if not for watering. How many birds are you talking about? I have been in this home for about 3 years, but on the location for about 5. Saw a hummer feeding from a Mimosa tree yesterday at Walmart and another eating a large white flying insect at my home.

• hcmcm
    12 years ago

I live in NE Arkansas and always have plenty of hummers. They appeared in early spring and haven't been seen since. My feeders are hanging, clean, filled and untouched. Other people we've checked with have no hummingbirds, either. I wish I knew what was going on???

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I'm sure all those birds did not stop off in south Ar. I have been in temp housing here for a couple of years and in the house for about 3. My charts are on monthly calendars and I do not have off hand that info, but I don't seem to have fewer birds. There is a giant hummingbird festival near you in Ms. (just SE of Memphis) each year and I'm sure they would have any info for you. I would love to attend it; but it is about 300 miles and after school starts, I think. If you can not find it, I will look it up.

• hcmcm
    12 years ago

Thanks PaulDavid63. The festival is in Holly Springs. I'm just curious if our weather, horrible storms and heat, led to our missing hummingbirds. They left!

We've had plenty here for the last 25 years. I have feeders in my yard and the hummers stay the entire season each year. This year they arrived and left. Not one in sight . . . and we've checked with other people who have feeders. It seems to be a problem around here!

• ctnchpr
    12 years ago

hummerfan,

I live in TN also, and I have as many, if not more hummers this year. I keep a running total of sugar consumption, and they're on track to match or exceed the 170 lbs used last year. There were several large Red Oak trees blown down by the storms, but the hummers rode them out very well.

• kimroy
    12 years ago

i live in northwest ont canada and also had no birds around the first part of june. they have reappeared in the last few days and i have 6 feeders out and they are emptying them every second day . i have seen 15 or so at the feeders at one time. I am thinking the young are now out but i find it hard to tell if they are adults or not. Its a treat to see them again considering they will be gone from here in another 6 weeks

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Here in central indy IM having the same if not more for this time of the season. I have been having about 8 every evening during prime feeding but two nights ago I had twice that amount then back down the next night. So Im looking to have a good august this year better than the last two years. Havent had any rain here in awhile either , grass is turning brown. So we need rain also.

• dee_can1
    12 years ago

I'm in Nova Scotia, and have less hummingbirds this year. We seemed to get the same families every year (I mean, I'm not sure of that, but they had the same habits), but they didn't return this year.

The new birds are few in number, and not hanging around as much, just sporadically here and there. The previous ones would sit on the hooks that hold the feeders and do battle with any other hummers that came near. We don't have that this year. It's disappointing.

• bettyjean-2008
    12 years ago

I'm in southern Illinois and have hardly seen a hummingbird at all this year.

• arleneb
    12 years ago

I'm just south of Nashville, in Williamson County. This is our third year in a new house in an isolated area. We had feeders out last summer and the summer before -- after a slow first summer, we've had lots -- I think more this year than last.

In fact, I have four in my garage at the moment -- I'm trying to lure them back to the area of the doors. DH left the door open while mowing. Duh.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Yes, they use to come into my garage all the time. The manual release for the door had a red plastic handle. I had to hang a feeder up near the controls and then one down lower near the door. I have 2 butterfly nets also in the garage. I looked back over my calendars for the last 3 years and usually only mentioned the changing of the feeders and not the number of birds. I am making a log book of number of birds, etc. so that I will know next year or the next just exactly how many birds I had on a certain date. I believe you should have more birds each year unless you do something wrong or someone else does downstream. Maybe not in years 10 or 11 though. I also have been here 3 years and the birds have increased each year.

• bettyjean-2008
    12 years ago

I only seem to have a male that visits daily, don't know where the ladies are, there are usually lots of females, but I only see a male this year, anyone have any ideas?

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have my garage door open a lot and a hummer might fly in to the handle but right back out again Ive never had them stay in the garage or get trapped inside.

I have been seeing a good amount of hummers here this season more than the last two years. I did make some minor changes and added more hummer plants. I have a decent habitat here even though I live on just a lot no woods. Last evening I had to have 15-20 birds in my yard. Was it because of the impending rain or the natural migration underway.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

A couple of years ago I had a hummer that had been in my garage for a very long time. He had obviously come in to look at the red manual release handle (a tan color now). This bird had blood all over the ceiling from scratching his head as he flew. I already knew from several previous experiences that hummers had a tendency to fly upward to escape from an inclosed area just as a wasp will do. Had one that kept flying back & forth on my patio after all the other birds had left that evening for about 15 minutes; I just reached up & grabbed him and then released him out in the yard. The patio only had about a foot hanging down all the way around. The mechanic in a small town where I had my car worked on had a hummer up in the top of his shop flying back & forth and he said that they came in all the time and just flew back & forth till they died. I've had them in my storage bldgs. and also had to work to get them out. Now I'm sure that all hummers that go into my garage do not panic and get hung up in there, but some do! All of the rest of the hummers on my porch had gone to roost for the night, but not the one with a lower I.Q. or a newbie. I try to help them out a little if I am attracting them to my house by not creating any traps or when they are down by picking them up. I'm sure most on this site would do the same.

• Lorna Secunda
    12 years ago

Only males this year and they are few compared to the past. I am in ne Indiana.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I can now say that this is the best year for hummers since Ive lived here 8yrs. Several days I have had at least 30 or more during august.

Sponsored
More Discussions