Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmer95_gw

Where are my hummers?

farmer95
9 years ago

It is the beginning of June 2014 already and have not seen a single bird. I am in Weaver (suburb of Anniston) and am wondering about their arrival.

Comments (10)

• OzarksNatureGuide
    9 years ago

I worked at a nature center for 5 years and this was always a common question in the spring/summer. There are a few possibilites. If you've had a wet spring and the wildflower bloom is good in your area, hummingbirds will favor the flowers until later in the summer. Also, you could have neighbors setting out feeders too creating dining options for your birds.

• koke64
    9 years ago

I was so excited when Mu Hummers arrived towards the end of April...The last 6 weeks,nothing!!! I clean the feeder put fresh sugar water out and still nothing...seems like There are not as many Hummers this year. Even My neighbors say the same thing...once a week, They will see one or maybe not at all.....I have never experienced in all of my 14 years this problem.....even with all the Hurricanes,I still had them coming....Anyone have this problem???????Thanks

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Koke, the books say hummers are rarely seen in may because they are nesting. See the 4th post in the thread "Has anyone had new sightings?" (Sorry my computer won't let me post links right now).

Don't know your zone, but here in zone 6 I am seeing a few now, and activity will really pick up by the end of June.

They are most active at feeders in the hour after daylight and the hour before dusk. Try checking then.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

In Connecticut... we have always had a huge hummingbird population around our feeder. Neighbors on both sides also have feeders, and for many years, we all would have to refill our feeders at least once a week. You couldn't sit outside near the feeders because you'd get divebombed. They would nest in a large hemlock hedge nearby.

This year -- nothing. No hummingbirds.

Where are they?

Who else is noticing an absence this year?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

farmer95, we're not too far from you in Alabama. We saw quite a few early in the spring and like someone said, then they nest, so we saw few if any for several weeks. Now they have been back for several weeks with some 'fights' over the feeders (we have 2 - 1 in front and 1 in back). Now that my flowers are blooming, I notice they favor the flowers too so the activity around the feeders is less, but still there. And they are more active in early morning and late afternoon.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Finally took the hummingbird feeder down. Very sad. No hummingbirds.

Where are they??????????

• kaysey1952
    9 years ago

I am having the same problem this year! I live in southern Louisiana and have always had a heavy population by May or June and I have only about 3 or 4. Why is this happening? My mother lives about 40 miles from me, further north and in MS. She took her feeder down

• appasi
    9 years ago

The opposite is happening to me. I live on the Texas/Mexico border and usually get a couple of hummers every summer. This summer I've seen up to 6 at a time at my feeders. My patio has hummers constantly flying around it. I use the hummzinger feeders (they are so easy to clean and fill) and my birds have them bone dry by the second day. A plus to all this (besides the fact that I get to watch them all day, is that my neighbors and friends have been complaining about how bad the mosquitos have gotten, and I haven't noticed any. I sit outside every morning and evening watching the hummingbirds and haven't been bitten once. I guess the hummers are eating all the mosquitos?

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Mine were late coming to the feeder this year in Virginia, but showed up about two weeks ago.

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Mine are very active tonight. Usually have 2 at any one time using the feeders in my reading garden. Tonight there are 5 feeding and chasing each other around :) I'm thinking they are young ones as they don't seem as protective of the feeders as ones I normally see.

Rhonda