Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

What am I doing wrong

squirelette
14 years ago

Hi,

I have been trying to make my own nectar but I am having an issue. It crystalizes after I pour it into the feeder and blocks the bottom. I have not seen any birds yet so I am hoping that if I can solve the problem there is still hope. Is it possible that I am not cooking it long enough or putting it into the feeder before it is cool enough. It is also crystalizing in the jar I store it in in the fridge. I dumped the first 2 jars but I am trying it this time to see if it will block the feeder since I strained it. I have made it before with out any problem so I do not know what I am doing wrong. Please help and thanks

Comments (19)

• orchidann
    14 years ago

What recipe are you using??

I've had good results with:
    1 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar dissolved in the water.This is sweeter and will attract the hummers. Once attracted I switch to l cup water and 1/4 cup sugar. They continue to come to the feeders.
    You can bring the water to a boil before adding the sugar, however, I never boil the solution, just let it cool to room temperature, pour in a container refrigerate until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before adding to the feeders. Good Luck , Keep us posted. Ann

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am probably over cooking it. I usually do it on the stove because I do not have the patience to stir it that long. Joint problems make it painful to stir very long. I will try it in the mixer next time. I have never seen hummers in my yard but I am sure they are in the neighbors so I am trying to lure them over. Our gardens are just getting started so I thought I would try it this year. The crappy weather this spring is probably not helping either. Thanks

• ltlhbgrl
    14 years ago

I originally heated mine on the stove, just to boiling, then let it cool right away. I've never had a problem with crystalizing. But recently, I have begun heating the sugar and about 1/2 the water in the microwave until it's hot, but not boiling. Then I WHISK the undisolved sugar (quick and easy on the joints & arms) then add the other 1/2 of the water - cold so I can fill the feeders right away. It lasts nearly as long in the feeders as the boiled version. Good luck!

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

I am a no-boiler. In fact, I don't even use filtered water or anything special--I measure 5 cups of cane sugar in a gallon jug and then fill it from the tap. Shake well and pour. It keeps in the fridge for up to a month, and in the feeders it lasts for two days even in our NC summers with temps up to 100oF.

Boiling is probably better, but I've had repeat hummers who have had no ill effects over the past two years from not boiling (and it's WAY easier!). And I know I'm not alone at all on the non-boiling...so don't feel too bad if it sounds tempting. =)

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I don't boil the water either. I have a filter on my kitchen sink tap. The water tastes better to me through a filter. Since it's there why not use it for the hummers to? One to four ratio plain sugar to cold water disolves in less than a minute with a little gentle stirring.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

I also do not boil the mix usually 1-3 mix untill they start coming regular like know then its 1-4. Theres no reason to boil the mix , once the hummer sticks his beak in the mix its contaminated anyway just stir the mix well untill all the sugar is disolved. But I am picky about cleaning the feeder parts, cleaning meticulously.

• homerpa
    14 years ago

I don't boil either; just i part sugar, 4 parts water. Keep the feeders clean, and mixture fresh!

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I don't boil water either. Just get it hot enough to melt the sugar. Cooking your mixture is probably your problem. Coking also makes for a more concentrated nectar.

• organic_bassetlvr
    14 years ago

I know when I first started feeding hummers it was recommended-on the feeder-to boil the sugar water mixture. Then as info became more easily available by the internet reliable sources said it was unnecessary. As hummersteve said, once the hummer sticks his beak in the sugar water is contaminated. I just mix mine straight from the tap with the water as hot as it will get, stir til clear, usually 30-60 seconds & let cool. I keep a conainer in the fridge so I can fill the feeder while the next batch cools. The only problem I've ever had was guests saying I had the worst lemonade in the world!(seems like my brother would have noticed it wasn't yellow)
    Susan

• nicknackhummer
    14 years ago

Cooking it is definitely your problem. As others have said, you don't even need to boil your water. I use a 4:1 ratio with hot tap water. I shake until it's dissolved, which just takes a second. Then let it cool before offering it to the hummers.

Carol

• jeelli
    14 years ago

I use a big sauce pan to heat up my water- I make big batches so that I have enough to fill my feeders (8 larger and 5 2oz) but I heat the water to dissolve the sugar thoroughly- that's all. No boiling. Then I let it cool before I refill my feeders. Course, I have to do this every three or four days...

• shirlanec_optonline_net
    12 years ago

I too am having trouble...I used 1/2 cup of sugar to two cups water...I have used this same solution for several years with great results, but this year the birds have given me a couple of fly bys but do not hang out for long....I am very disappointed. I have planted a butterfly bush in the hopes of offering something else...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• tima9209
    12 years ago

I started out as a boiler, but after a year or two, I finally discovered there's no point in boiling or even heating the water unless maybe it's 50F out of the tap or something, which would make the sugar slower to dissolve. I pour 400-500 ml of sugar into a 2L bottle, fill it up with tap water, and after 3-4 vigorous shakes in a 5 minute period, it's all dissolved.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Use a 4-1 mix. Mixing the nectar 1-1 or 2-1 or 3-1 will NOT get more birds! Just put half of the water in hot from the tap and either stir or shake with the sugar; when it has dissolved, put the other half of the water in and stir again. I mixed my sugar water about 3 1/2-1 for over 20 years (just a waste of sugar). I used to think mixing it stronger than the neighbor's would get me more birds (no way!). You just need lots of feeders or lots of red to get the birds to your feeders. They don't care if it is 2-1 or 5-1! Studies have shown that the stronger you mix the nectar, the less often the birds will come to get the neccessary calories. I did my own test with the nectar recently and they came much less to the 2-1 mix although it was probably just location. The birds drained the feeders exactly the same with 4-1 mix in all feeders. The more sugar will probably mean faster molding.

I don't understand the fly-bys, but if a hummer dips into one of your feeders just once and flys off, there is a problem with the nectar (unless there is something to scare him off).

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say put the other half of the water in from the cold tap after the sugar is dissolved. This will cool the nectar enough to put the feeder back up immediately.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Squirelette

I never cook or boil the mix I make or microwave as some do. I always cold stir till I feel no more granuals in the mix. Boiling the mix is not necessary considering as soon as a hummer sticks his beak and tongue in the mix it is contaminatd at that point. Just think , how many flowers or other feeders has it sampled before yours and just maybe that other feeder wasnt exactly clean as you keep yours.

• kitty winningham
    2 years ago

I never cook my hummingbird food. I still get crystal's on the bottom. I think it's multiple days over 100%.

• HU-974506985
    last year

I found that my feeders are on the southeast side. I am in high plains area in NN. My food was crystalline too. I discovered the sun was boiling the food.

I took painters tape and covered the clear parts of my feeders

Stopped crystalizing and my hummers were only morning and evenings NOW ALL DAY the nectar was getting to hot.

No motivation crystals. And a lot more hummers. Wish I could send you a picture.

I have two window feeders. I love them the hummers sit and I can almost touch them.