Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Vicki-- Need help on my SX10

hummersteve
14 years ago

A lot of pros and cons on this camera. the zoom and macro are great , the reason I bought was was mainly for the zoom which will help me on my hummer shots. But there is one big disappointment or else something Im doing dreadfully wrong. In trying to resize a vid it goes dark and then light as if you were trying to copy something that was copyrighted. I even tried to use my S5 and it did fine on the same software, no problem with it , so Im assuming Im doing something wrong,, need help anyone that knows. Im trying to use a WM converter that has always done fine for me with my S5 . My S5 does avi where this one does mov. So whats the problem.

Comments (10)

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Steve, Windows is OK with avi, not as good with mov. Are you using Movie Maker? Maybe try using Quicktime or even iMovie if you can get your hands on it. That's my best guess...of course I'm probably way off base and Vicki can solve this in a second.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If I had known I would run into this I might not have gotten this camera. Windows movie maker wont accept it either. I ended up downloading radtools to transferr from mov to avi. then resize with my wmv converter. Why did canon ever pull that crap anyway, a pain for everyone. As for everything else Im ok with. I take a lot of video and upload to different forums.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

Steve-I am sorry you are having a problem. I really believe that the SX0 does EVERYTHING the S5 does so I can't imagine what is going on.
    PLEASE call Canon customer service and choose Tech support from the options. They have the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. They are very knowledgeable and will be able to solve your problem- if there is a solution.
    Here's that number 800-828-4040---8am-12 midnight, Mon- Fri.
    10am-8pm Sat.
    Call them, please!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicki-- the sx format is mov. compared to s5 avi. and therein is the problem. Dont know if you do vids. If you just upload and show it on your pics or documents thru quicktime is ok. But if you upload vids to another forum thats where the problem comes in. If you upload to a forum you will need to resize to avi. Just try putting your vid on windows movie maker as it is and see what it looks like. I had to end up getting software to transfer from mov. to avi/wmv. Then I was ok to upload. Strange deal. All that said I still like the camera for its zoom properties.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

Steve
    I do some video and I post that to a Bulldog Board that I belong to. I have never tried to resize my videos. I transfer directly from photobucket to that site. My video is the same size as it is on photobucket--about 4'' high by 5'' wide.

At my photobucket site that video is on page 3(a video of my OE Bulldog Puppy checking out a large freshwater Turtle). If I right click the mouse it has the full size option which gives what I think is an okay size of 4x5 inches.
    This is something I have never even considered because I am so non-technical, and I do mostly share pictures instead of videos.

I had never thought of trying to make my videos the same size as the pictures I upload.

I think you should call Canon and give them a little piece of your mind. I think they are good about listening to their customers. I also know that J&R will take the camera back if you are not satisfied.

I am sorry to say I did not even know enough to warn you of a problem like the one you are having!

Sad for you,
    Vicki

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

Steve -I did an online search and found this(to me) helpful discussion on how to convert video files from the SX10.
    Here is the web address

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpowershotsx10is/discuss/72157617565503109/

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Vicki for your concern and I read the discussion. Here is the help I found on you tube to convert mov. into avi. its called radtools. and Its all I needed and simple enough to convert. Anyway using this program allowed me to convert which is what I needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: RADtools

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicki--- I did talk to customer service at canon and did give tell them what I thought about the changes they made, they said they thought it was for the better.

Anyway using the radtools works good for transfering from mov. to avi. format.

Another odd thing that came up when I posted pics at network54 is that some people said the supposed red colors in pics was blue in otherwords a hummers gorget would be blue, but most of the people said that part was red. I have switched back and forth between the old software and the new but the colors remain the same for certain people, so it is the camera and it appears there is nothing I can do about that .

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Talked to customer service again on the color variation, talked at length with the agent and they seemed to believe it was settings that the cetain individuals had on their pc, but if my pics show red for me even after I resize and go thru photobucket that nothing is wrong with my camera.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

I do really like their customer service, Steve. I just had to call them the other day for something I could not figure out with the sx10. They solved my problem right away. I, unlike you, have nothing to compare the Sx10 with except my A590--so the SX10 seems great to me. I hope you grow to like it as well as your other camera. I still am getting some great shots with it!
    Vicki

Sponsored
More Discussions