Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsky_gw

Lack of Hummingbird sightings

sunsky
14 years ago

I live in Raleigh, NC and there has been much discussion about the lack of hummingbird sightings this year. Does anyone know why??

Comments (10)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Right now they could still be nesting. It is a little too soon to actually tell if the numbers are really down. I will wait until the young fledge and then make a comparison to previous years.

Penny

• keygolf
    14 years ago

Live in Tennessee and in past years have had quite a few hummers by this time. This year onlt about half a dozen singl sightings to this date, so I have the same question as sunsky (along with mentioning that Raleigh is my home-town).
    Thanks.

• bedelia
    14 years ago

I live in upstate NY, and haven't seen any in a while. Can't figure that out either. Don't remember this happening last year.

• anita55
    14 years ago

I live in downstate New York, and I have more hummingbirds this year at my feeder than I have had in past years. Go figure.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I haven't seen a hummer in five weeks. It's no fun to clean and refill the feeder ever few days with no reward. The real heat has finally arrived so maybe they will return soon.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

For me the year is a little different. In the past Ive had them early and they stay that didnt happen but Ive got more now than I had in june in previous years. Lots of adult males at feeders in the evening I judge 10-12. I have just a small yard here in central indy.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Late this afternoon I saw the first hummer since May 20th. It was either a female or a juvenile. At first it did what the May 20th hummer did... just hover and circle the feeder, perhaps trying to figure it out, and then fly away without drinking. However, after thirty minutes this hummer came back and finally took several drinks, although it did not use the perches. I'm really hoping I at least get this one to stick around. A few more would be great.

• postelmans137
    8 years ago

I live in Indiana and have been feeding the hummingbirds for many years now. They usually show up in May here however today, the 26th of May, I have only seen one hummingbird at a time and then she rarely shows up to feed? I still make the same nectar too. I usually see at least 3 or 4 and they feed frequently and chase each other away. Should I be concerned?

• hawkeye_wx
    8 years ago

May into June is nesting time for ruby-throated hummers. Sightings can sometimes or often be sparse during this period, depending on what your habitat is like. I live in a more urban area where hummers don't nest, so some days I don't see any hummers at all. When one or two do show up, it is usually only at very first and last light of the day. Activity will pick up later in June and July.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions
More Discussions