Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimidi_gw

Acapulco Salmon and Pink Agastache

mimidi
18 years ago

I found these at Wal-Mart today and bought one. Good plant or not. The color is beautiful.

Comments (24)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

mimidi I don't know what agasteche man would say but I think it sounds good I bought an acapulco last week for 1.25 it smells nice at least I haven't seen the hummers use it but right now the hummers are using mostly salvia greggii and the greggii microphylla's. Sarah

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

Good plant for the hummers and the like. I personally, and its just me, grow it to for the addition of cultivars, not for the high production and great quality of growth. I have to say, I prefer many more varieties to any of the acapulco series. I have never been satisfied of its loopy growth, and faded color. But then again, that is me. A professional grower and horticulturalist, I find the plant not included in my availability. For the gardener and hobbyist, I include it in the garden and my potpourri. I think I complained enough, hopefully I didn't disappoint ya. Although, its definately better than relying on foeniculum or rugosa to be the satisfying variety because nothing else was available.

• oubliette
    18 years ago

Aw, man! I checked at our Wal Mart yesterday, after reading so many reports of good finds, and ours has nothing except the usual flats of bedding plants.

• Birdlegs
    18 years ago

Oubilette,
    The manager of your wallmarts must be related to yours. All they have are petunias, hens&chicks , marigolds and nothing for the hummers. I have scripts that I get refilled there and while I'm waiting I won't even bother to look at thier garden center. However I do go a bit out of my way and check out Lowes, where I did find a Acapulco tutti fruite that The first male of the year checked out yesterday. Worth every penny.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well this is the first time I have found an agastache at Wal-Mart. There are three plants in one pot.

AM thank you for the information. I had not had an experience with agastches before this year. I have much to learn.

• wardw
    18 years ago

I had asked a couple of weeks ago about this agastache after I bought a couple at Lowes. The three I bought have been blooming their heads off since they were planted, but I beginning to think the stems are a little lax. AgastacheMan is right about the flower color, it is nothing special. None-the-less, I've yet to meet an agastache I didn't like, and since I kill most of them each winter, I expect in a few more years to have some perspective on what's available.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Ooh, Acapulco Salmon has an intriguing ring to it ;)
    Do you have a picture (*****drooling profusely, keyboard might short out*****)

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How about this.
    {{gwi:989522}}

{{gwi:989525}}

{{gwi:989527}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    18 years ago

I think the agastache I have is Tutti Fruiti. It is now the only plant our hummers visit. I think this is because it has shot up to 5 feet tall and the hummers find it safe and convenient. Especially with the cat wandering around.

The Black and Blue looks like it will open this week. I am interested if it will get any action. It is in a pot with cuphea planted at its feet.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sounds like you have a feast set up for your hummingbirds.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Oooooooh, I think that's the one I bought at Home Depot last year! It's gorgeous! Unfortunately, 5 out of 6 didn't return. I initially purchased one, but fell in total love with it, I had to have more. I was wondering about it's hardiness, even though it said perennial, and HD's tag only said agastache; no name. I'm thrilled to have a name. I was only able to harvest about 20 seed last year, from 6 plants!!!!!!! I was doubtful that they'd return... I need to find the receipts!

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tracey that is such a good picture of your agastache.

• Birdlegs
    18 years ago

Wow! Is that just 1 plant? It looks just like Acapulco Orange, which is the 1st agastache I bought this year.

• eddie10
    18 years ago

I have seen this at Lowes'--just this morning--tag says it is a perennial, but I would try to protect it as much as possible for the winters here-----now you got me thinking of going and getting one. what can my wife say-----it's fathers day and seeing how the only hummer I have visiting is a male who also probably is a father---hmmmmm---ED

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Go for it Eddie.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Now this looks just like the Agastache that I bought at Walmart when I was down in southern Indiana. There was no tag and the pot was just marked as AGASTACHE - ANNUAL. Mine has gotten floppy with more of it being along the ground than upright but I do like the bicolored flowers. It was only $1.97 in a one qt container so if it doesn't come back it isn't a big deal.

Penny

• wardw
    18 years ago

The tag I had said hardy to zone 6. But apparently, zone 6 for agastaches is not the zone 6 most of us easterners live in. It is some picturesque southwestern zone 6 with low rainfall, cowboy hats, and painted deserts. It's best to treat them like Penny says, as annuals. This gives you room to be pleasantly surprised if they come back.

• rocio
    18 years ago

I bought Salmon/Pink Acapulco Agastache about a month ago. I did not know anything about agastache but I bought one just because it looked pretty and smelled wonderful. I did some research after the purchse and found it might not survive in my zone 5b. So I planted where it will be protected from winter elements. Well, two days ago I found it was completely dried out. The day before, it was fine. I watered almost everyday even though I thought I was watering too much. I don't know what went wrong but I learned a lesson. As a novice gardener, I shoudl stick with plants with well established reputation. I paid $12 for the gallon plant. Oh, well...

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rocio mine died too. I will learn to stick with plants that like my climate.

• birdtalker
    18 years ago

I just bought a gallon sized plant of Acapulco orange today for 3 dollars and something. The leaves and stems are so similar to catmint that I have in a barrel that I thought I would put this plant in with it. the barrel is so dry and hot that I thought they would do well there. I have a butterfly bush nearby. wish me luck

• wardw
    18 years ago

Mine are still alive, even though three of them have been overgrown by cosmos. A fourth in a more open position has been in heavy bloom since it came home in June. My only gripe so far is they don't grow very tall, no more than 2 feet.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ward I am glad yours are doing so good.

Birdtalker good luck.

I did check yesterday and I have a small piece still growing. I am keeping it watered good maybe it will come on and grow. My plants aren't doing much of anything right now but staying alive. They heat is putting so much stress on them. Usually when it starts to cool off in September I have another growth season.

• lionsfan
    14 years ago

I bought this the other day and put it in a hanging basket. It has been an instant hit with my lone male hummer. Smells nice too!

• mimidi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to know it was a hit. Mine died the first year.