Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find Salvia seeds?

Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 18:12

I'm looking for sources for Salvia seeds, the plants are expensive... I'm looking especially for 'Purple Majesty', Wendy's Wish', Blue Farinacea, and other hummingbird-butterfly magnets... Thanks for your help, sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find Salvia seeds?

Have you tried the Seed Exchange Forum? Most times you'll need to set up a trade, but sometimes people offer them for SASE. Maybe Ebay. Good luck :) Christy

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 17:34

Thanks for the advice, I heard from another poster that 2 of these Salvia are sterile hybrids and only available by cutting-plant, so no seeds! I had ordered Blue Farinacea seeds from Park and they were sold-out... guess I'll just have to get them in plant form from a Nursery, but they are pricey... Thanks again for the help, sally

o

There is a Plant Exchange Forum, too :) Hope you find what you're looking for!! Christy

o

I look in the herb section of the Burpee seed stand a the greenhouse, supermarket, etc.

o

Hi Sally, I second the great suggestions above. Also my local ag supply has an incredible selection. Also you can ask if anyone has free seeds for SASBE in the following forum and explain that you want hummer/butterfly plants:

GW Butterfly Garden Forum

If you can't find, Diane's Seeds is very popular in my regular forum on gardenweb:
Salvia at Diane's Seeds
Agastache at Diane's Seeds

Some people like buying seed at swallowtail, other people think the co. takes too long filling orders in High Season: Salvia at Swallowtail

Just be sure to check for plants that might be invasive in your area. Good luck!

o

I have gotten seed online before that were not viable. So you have to be careful who you get seed from. Diane's seed is very reliable. I have ordered there several times without a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here