o
RE: Biggest hummer I've ever seen!

WOW! I love it! Too cute.

o

That looks like a woodpecker!!!

o

My first thought was it is a woodpecker also. Never seen a hummer that looks anything close to that.

o

definitely woodpecker - downy woodpecker

o

LOL

Yes, it is. I actually have quite a few woodpeckers that come around because of all the larger trees. First time I've actually caught one on this feeder, though. I was so excited to get the pictures!

The hummies are kinda all over the place this year. First sightings a few males, then lots of them a couple of weeks later, now only a few males again. (Sigh)

o

I have a ton of wood peckers as well, although never in the hummingbird feeder. We have red shafted flickers, downey wookpeckers, and piliated woodpeckers. What type of woodpecker is this? At my feeders they love the suet!! The piliated wps stay in the trees and never come to a feeder. They are huge and do look just like woody woodpecker.

o

I love it! I have loads of hairy's & downy's, but they're too happy with the suet feeder. Great pic!

o

So far at this house, I've seen; hairy, downy, red-headed, pileated, and red-bellied. One day I had fun luring them to my office window by playing the calls on bird jam at the window. That was hilarious! Got more mockingbirds, cardinals, and robins that way, though.

o

That's really cool. I have hairy and downy woodpeckers that love the suet feeders as well. I've never seen them bat and eye at the hummingbird feeders nearby...Then again, no hummingbirds have been sighted at them yet either. :)

Great shot!
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

o

I guess I might have expected a Sapsucker, but not a Downy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here